From: Schneider on
On Apr 9, 2:20 pm, Aldric Giacomoni <ald...(a)trevoke.net> wrote:
> I think this project doesn't get enough attention :-)http://github.com/ryanb/ruby-warrior
>
> I've tried it and it's really cool and entertaining. The code is also
> pretty cool to look at, and it's got tests and everything.
> What is your opinion of it? How far can you go before you have to
> actually think? :)

AMAZING idea :)
From: Thiago Massa on

Hahaha, I've been studying alot lately and once I finish my tests I'm
definately trying it out, *I've* been with some idea to create a game where
you program stuff in order to do something but in a way that goes
mainstream(and maybe be a good way to learn how to program).

2010/4/9 Aldric Giacomoni <aldric(a)trevoke.net>

> I think this project doesn't get enough attention :-)
> http://github.com/ryanb/ruby-warrior
>
> I've tried it and it's really cool and entertaining. The code is also
> pretty cool to look at, and it's got tests and everything.
> What is your opinion of it? How far can you go before you have to
> actually think? :)

Thiago Fernandes Massa
11 83979414

From: akraynov on
Hello guys! I consider RubyWarrior may be useful for learning. A have
reached for 6'th level (as beginner).

Now my code looks as following: http://good.net/_5pJ5Rurvz .
I can't understand issue: if i call in method:
def roam_to_combat!
debug("Entering roam_to_combat")
state = :ws_combat
@ini_health = health
debug(@ini_health)
warrior.attack!(cur_dir)
end

then it lacks to execute string "state = :ws_combat".
But if i call
def roam_to_combat!
debug("Entering roam_to_combat")
self.state = :ws_combat # <-- here is difference
@ini_health = health
debug(@ini_health)
warrior.attack!(cur_dir)
end
then it executes "state = :ws_combat" normally.

Why it didn't execute "state =" without "self"?
Is it Ruby's bug?
I got Ruby 1.8 installed.
From: Aldric Giacomoni on
akraynov wrote:
> It seems local variable "state" has overriden my method "state".
> This can be a source of many hidden bugs for those who well-skilled in
> Delphi or C++.
> Why Ruby doesn't give me any warning?

Because it doesn't parse incorrectly; it just runs incorrectly. That's
why you need to do what Jesus explained.
The burden of intelligence is on the developer ;-)