From: sturkel on
I want to run a commandline tool from vb.
It searches for some information in a database and returns it to the
commanline (I guess stdout)
Running an application from vb is not the issue, but I don't know how
to read the commandline output.
Can someone give me an example in VB6.0 (SP5)
Thanks in advance

From: Phill W. on
sturkel wrote:

> I want to run a commandline tool from vb.

> Running an application from vb is not the issue, but I don't know how
> to read the commandline output.

Your best bet is probably to use the DOS shell to redirect the output
from that tool into a file, then read that file back into VB.

ChDir "drv:\dir1\dir2"
Shell "cmd /c 'program.exe > file.txt' "

' wait for it to finish, then ...

Dim iFile as Integer: iFile = FreeFile()
Open "drv:\dir1\dir2\file.txt" for Input as #iFile
Dim sData as String: sData _
= Input( LOF(iFile), #iFile )
Close #iFile

HTH,
Phill W.
From: sturkel on
On 19 okt, 13:42, "Phill W." <p-.-a-.-w-a-r...@-o-p-e-n-.-a-c-.-u-k>
wrote:
> sturkel wrote:
> > I want to run a commandline tool from vb.
> > Running an application from vb is not the issue, but I don't know how
> > to read the commandline output.
>
> Your best bet is probably to use the DOS shell to redirect the output
> from that tool into a file, then read that file back into VB.
>
> ChDir "drv:\dir1\dir2"
> Shell "cmd /c 'program.exe > file.txt' "
>
> ' wait for it to finish, then ...
>
> Dim iFile as Integer: iFile = FreeFile()
> Open "drv:\dir1\dir2\file.txt" for Input as #iFile
> Dim sData as String: sData _
> = Input( LOF(iFile), #iFile )
> Close #iFile
>
> HTH,
> Phill W.

Is there no direct interaction with the output of a command?
I know that I can put it to a file, but I prefer the other way.

From: Randy Birch on
Not really. If it can be done, L.J. will have the means on his site -
http://www.mvps.org/st-software/

--

Randy
http://vbnet.mvps.org/