From: its_faiz on
Hello,

We have developed an application in VB6. When this application runs on
the users machine it gives the following error message:

Run-time error '429'
ActiveX component can't create object

I know that a file is either missing or unregistered actually causing
this problem. Is there any utility that can clearly tell what file or
entry is absent which is causing this problem. I have used FileMon and
RegMon tools by "sysinternals.com" but could not succeed.

Please don't ask me to register/copy the files (on which application
is depending) one by one to get the problem resolve. I want to know the
exact file name/registry entry that is causing the problem.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Faiz

From: Ralph on

From: Ken Halter on
<its_faiz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Please don't ask me to register/copy the files (on which application
> is depending) one by one to get the problem resolve. I want to know the
> exact file name/registry entry that is causing the problem.

My ComGuard utility (add-in) can help with that. It'll build a class module
that checks to make sure everything your app depends on is present and
registered. All you have to do is tell it to build the class and add a
couple of lines to your app that instantiates the class and calls its
VerifyInstallation method. It'll go through the list, firing an event before
and after each verification, telling you the status, etc. If something's
missing, you can easily show a message box telling the user what's wrong.
Even with that in place though, if the message box shows, it means the class
could not find the component in either of the 2 places it checks (the
registry and a path to the component)

Note that it's shareware but fully functional so you can build that class
and uninstall it afterwards if you want.

--
Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - Please keep all discussions in the groups..
DLL Hell problems? Try ComGuard - http://www.vbsight.com/ComGuard.htm

From: Ralph on

"Ken Halter" <Ken_Halter(a)Use_Sparingly_Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <its_faiz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Please don't ask me to register/copy the files (on which application
> > is depending) one by one to get the problem resolve. I want to know the
> > exact file name/registry entry that is causing the problem.
>
> My ComGuard utility (add-in) can help with that. It'll build a class
module
> that checks to make sure everything your app depends on is present and
> registered. All you have to do is tell it to build the class and add a
> couple of lines to your app that instantiates the class and calls its
> VerifyInstallation method. It'll go through the list, firing an event
before
> and after each verification, telling you the status, etc. If something's
> missing, you can easily show a message box telling the user what's wrong.
> Even with that in place though, if the message box shows, it means the
class
> could not find the component in either of the 2 places it checks (the
> registry and a path to the component)
>
> Note that it's shareware but fully functional so you can build that class
> and uninstall it afterwards if you want.
>
> > Any help will be highly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Faiz

Why didn't you write that thing ten years ago?

You could have saved me a ton of aggrivation. But, No! You had to wait until
all my apps are in maintenance mode and three quarters of my hair is gone.

Now I suppose you will wait another seven years before you write something
that can figure out why that @#!% interopt @$#%$h!T won't work, when it
worked just fine yesterday!

<g>
-ralph

From: Phill W. on

<its_faiz(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> We have developed an application in VB6. When this application runs on
> the users machine it gives the following error message:
> ActiveX component can't create object

> I know that a file is either missing or unregistered actually causing
> this problem. Is there any utility that can clearly tell what file or
> entry is absent which is causing this problem.

Believe it or not, the Package and Deployment Wizard is actually
useful for this sort of thing.
Create an installation package for your application, then open up the
setup.lst file that it creates in Notepad (or whatever).
Listed therein are all the ActiveX dll's that your application needs.
[At least] one of these will be missing from your target machine(s).

> Please don't ask me to register/copy the files (on which application
> is depending) one by one to get the problem resolve.

But, short of creating and running an installation package, that's about
the only way you're going to resolve it.
(You do give you users installation packages, don't you ... ?)

> I want to know the exact file name/registry entry that is causing the
> problem.

The /only/ people who know that with any certainty are Our Friends
in Redmond - the rest of us can only /try/ to convince ourselves that
we understand their tortured thinking (today).

Regards,
Phill W.