From: Andrew Weaver on
Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will kickstart
windows update?

I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.

I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.

Please advise.

thanks,
-Drew

From: Shenan Stanley on
Andrew Weaver wrote:
> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
> kickstart windows update?
>
> I am trying to avoid the manual task of going to the browser, etc.
>
> I'd like it to just go immediately to the downloading/updating part.
>
> Please advise.

Operating System?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Andrew Weaver on
All 2k3s and all 2k8s including r2 x86/64.
-Drew

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
How do you know "windows update" doesn't already run at boot?

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-03-24 7:57 a.m., Andrew Weaver wrote:

> Is there any command-line or other application I can run that will
> kickstart windows update?

I think perhaps you want something like my script:

<http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs>

http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~harry/wsusupdate.vbs

This downloads and installs all available updates. It's designed for use with
WSUS, but should also work with Windows/Microsoft Update. Note that it is
intended for command-line use (cscript, not wscript) and to be called from
another script or batch file which will check the return code for errors.

Harry.

--
Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com