From: David W. Fenton on
"paii, Ron" <none(a)no.com> wrote in

> If new version of HATTEN.TTF existed, locate the newly installed
> HATTEN.TTF, delete or rename it
> Restore the original HATTEN.TTF
> Optionally Restore the original MSACCESS.exe if you want to run
> both versions of Access.

The whole font renaming thing was really just a voodoo way of
forcing Access to fully re-register all its components.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
"Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele(a)NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in

> "Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message

>> However regular users can't update any files
>> in the Windows System folder.
>
> Don't believe that's generally the case. Definitely I can write to
> that folder (and given how locked down our machines are, I can't
> imagine that we would have relaxed built-in security rules
> anywhere! And given that a System.ldb file is opened whenever
> you're using the System.mdw file, it really wouldn't make sense
> that the file would be written to a write-protected folder.

That's odd, as the default permissions on the Windows folder have
been read-only for users starting with Win2000. Power Users have
modify permission. Are you sure you're not running as a member of
the Power Users group?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> Gene Wirchenko <genew(a)ocis.net> wrote in
>

>>Does anyone know what I have to do to be able to run Access 97
>>under XP?
>

> I'm running A97, A2000, A2003 and A2007 on this WinXP box.

I was under the impression if one installed
97->2000->2002->2003->2007... that was fine but installing an earlier
version after installing a later version posed problems.
From: Gene Wirchenko on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:28:54 -0500, "paii, Ron" <none(a)no.com> wrote:

>"Gene Wirchenko" <genew(a)ocis.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:25:10 -0500, "paii, Ron" <none(a)no.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Checkout Tony's Access page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>> >
>> >I have run Access97 on everything from Windows98 though WindowsXP, It
>will
>> >not run under Windows7 except in XP mode.
>> >
>> >Two things to look for and change, before installing.
>> >Search for the font file HATTEN.TTF, if found; rename it.
>> >Search for other versions of Access, MSACCESS.exe, if found; rename it.
>> >
>> >Install Access97, (I like to install it in a new Office97 folder instead
>of
>> >the default, just to keep it separate for newer versions)
>> >Run the check for service pack 2b, "SR2CHK.EXE"
>> >If needed install Office97 service pack 1, "SR1OFF97.EXE"
>> >If needed install Office97 service pack 2b, "SR2BOF97.EXE", (You will
>need
>> >the Access97 disk to install the service pack)
>> >If needed Install Jet service pack 3, "Jet35sp3.exe"
>> >
>> >If new version of HATTEN.TTF existed, locate the newly installed
>HATTEN.TTF,
>> >delete or rename it
>> >Restore the original HATTEN.TTF
>> >Optionally Restore the original MSACCESS.exe if you want to run both
>> >versions of Access.
>> >
>> >Access97 should now run.
>>
>> Thank you for the above. Access does now run, but SR2b was
>> rejected with
>>
>> Microsoft Office 97 SR-2
>> The Microsoft Office 97 SR-2 patch cannot be applied to your computer.
>> Either Office 97 is not installed on this computer, or there are files
>> from multiple versions of Office 97 on this computer. Try installing
>> Office 97 or running the latest SR-1 patch to correct the problem. Or,
>> contact Microsoft Technical Support for further assistance.
>> OK
>>
>> Office 97 is installed on my computer, and I have only one
>> version of it installed. I redownloaded the SR-1 patch to compare to
>> the one I installed, and it is the same one.
>>
>> Any idea what is happening here?

>Did you run SR2CHK.EXE to check if your are ready for SR2b?

I had not, but I finally was able to find it and ran it. I got
the same error message I quoted above.

>I have never had issues with SR2B after a clean install of Access97 if
>SR2CHK passes.
>
>You could try installing "SR2AOF97.EXE" before SR2B.

That gave me the same error as well.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
From: Douglas J. Steele on
"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet(a)dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Douglas J. Steele" <NOSPAM_djsteele(a)NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> "Tony Toews" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>
>>> However regular users can't update any files
>>> in the Windows System folder.
>>
>> Don't believe that's generally the case. Definitely I can write to
>> that folder (and given how locked down our machines are, I can't
>> imagine that we would have relaxed built-in security rules
>> anywhere! And given that a System.ldb file is opened whenever
>> you're using the System.mdw file, it really wouldn't make sense
>> that the file would be written to a write-protected folder.
>
> That's odd, as the default permissions on the Windows folder have
> been read-only for users starting with Win2000. Power Users have
> modify permission. Are you sure you're not running as a member of
> the Power Users group?

Positive.

It's possible that they perverted the default permissions, but I'd be
extremely surprised, since generally we tighten up security, not loosen it,
in our environment. When I get back to the office on Monday, I'll try and
remember to check the permissions on the folder.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele/AccessIndex.html