From: Gene Wirchenko on
Hello:

I have just picked up a bit of work on an Access 97 system. In
British Columbia, we have a change in the way that the taxes will be
computed coming up July 1.

Fortunately, I still have my Windows 98 box on my desk. I have
not used it in months, but I have to now as I can not get Access 97 to
install on my XP box. There is an installation error about not being
able to create system.mdw. (I am then told that the installation
completed successfully.) Access 97 will then not start because of the
missing file.

Does anyone know what I have to do to be able to run Access 97
under XP?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:18:16 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <genew(a)ocis.net>
wrote:

A97 can definitely be installed on XP.
I might rename all occurrences of system.mdw and try the install
again.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: Gene Wirchenko on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:19:25 -0700, Tom van Stiphout
<tom7744.no.spam(a)cox.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:18:16 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <genew(a)ocis.net>
>wrote:
>
>A97 can definitely be installed on XP.

Good.

>I might rename all occurrences of system.mdw and try the install
>again.

There were none. I did retry the installation (uninstalling
first) to the same effect.

I also tried copying the system.mdw from my 98 system, but when I
start Access 97 on my XP box, Access 97 blows up with an out-of-memory
error. Odd that: my 98 box has 192MB of RAM, and my XP box has 1.5GB
of RAM.

[snipped previous]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
From: Douglas J. Steele on
"Gene Wirchenko" <genew(a)ocis.net> wrote in message

> I also tried copying the system.mdw from my 98 system, but when I
> start Access 97 on my XP box, Access 97 blows up with an out-of-memory
> error. Odd that: my 98 box has 192MB of RAM, and my XP box has 1.5GB
> of RAM.

The memory error is a common one. You need to ensure you've got the latest
upgrades to the Jet Database Engine. See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/161255 for details.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure where you can get them anymore, as I don't
believe they're available through Windows Update.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

From: paii, Ron on
Checkout Tony's Access page at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

I have run Access97 on everything from Windows98 though WindowsXP, It will
not run under Windows7 except in XP mode.

Two things to look for and change, before installing.
Search for the font file HATTEN.TTF, if found; rename it.
Search for other versions of Access, MSACCESS.exe, if found; rename it.

Install Access97, (I like to install it in a new Office97 folder instead of
the default, just to keep it separate for newer versions)
Run the check for service pack 2b, "SR2CHK.EXE"
If needed install Office97 service pack 1, "SR1OFF97.EXE"
If needed install Office97 service pack 2b, "SR2BOF97.EXE", (You will need
the Access97 disk to install the service pack)
If needed Install Jet service pack 3, "Jet35sp3.exe"

If new version of HATTEN.TTF existed, locate the newly installed HATTEN.TTF,
delete or rename it
Restore the original HATTEN.TTF
Optionally Restore the original MSACCESS.exe if you want to run both
versions of Access.

Access97 should now run.