From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:34:47 -0500, Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:

>>Some people I know avoid spending that money by doing the head
>>hunters' work themselves. Most contractors find the money is not
>>worth that kind of work. Supply and demand.
>
>Contractors who find their own gigs do much better financially AND get better projects.
>I'd love to do that, but don't have the contacts. It works best when you specialize in one
>industry. After awhile you get to know many decision makers.

Yep. I really have no right to complain about the cost if I'm not
willing to do the work myself.
From: Michael Mattias on
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:34:47 -0500, Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:
>
>>Contractors who find their own gigs do much better financially AND get
>>better projects.
>>I'd love to do that, but don't have the contacts. It works best when you
>>specialize in one
>>industry. After awhile you get to know many decision makers.

Contacts are nice; but ya think it possible specializing in one or two
industries might result in producing more useful software more quickly? With
a commensurate increase in the value of said products for said users?

MCM

From: Pete Dashwood on

"Howard Brazee" <howard(a)brazee.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:09:53 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Well, most companies in our part of the world are NOT outsourcing. By
>>adopting more modern approaches there is no need to. I have friends who
>>simply laugh at the idea of coding a new system development line by line,
>>in
>>house OR outsourced.
>>
>>Moving to component based approaches rather than line-by-line Procedural
>>code simply obviates the need to outsource (and also gets systems
>>delivered
>>in a fraction of the time it would otherwise take...). I believe it is
>>only
>>the procedural approach that is so labour intensive it needs to be
>>outsourced.
>
> Interesting observation. Outsourcing is useful in manufacturing, but
> much harder to be cost effective in analysis and design. If we find
> customizations to be cost effective, we need to do our analysis with
> our users. If not, we buy our product off the shelf. If our
> analysis tools and prototyping tools also produce our end product -
> what manufacturing do we need to outsource?
>
> We've seen this process in manufacturing.

I hadn't noticed that particular analogue, but I think you're right.

> Now, in today's world, we could outsource that part of the analysis &
> design which is designed to sell to foreign customers (maybe legal
> reporting requirements). And we could outsource shift work. DBAs
> in India might be easier to find than American DBAs who are willing to
> work graveyard shift.

I'd be very surprised if those things aren't already being outsourced.

Pete.

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:35:55 -0500, "Michael Mattias"
<mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:

>Contacts are nice; but ya think it possible specializing in one or two
>industries might result in producing more useful software more quickly? With
>a commensurate increase in the value of said products for said users?

I have noticed some effective headhunters who went into that
profession after finding out that they weren't that effective as
programmers.
From: Michael Mattias on
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:35:55 -0500, "Michael Mattias"
> <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:
>
>>Contacts are nice; but ya think it possible specializing in one or two
>>industries might result in producing more useful software more quickly?
>>With
>>a commensurate increase in the value of said products for said users?
>
> I have noticed some effective headhunters who went into that
> profession after finding out that they weren't that effective as
> programmers.

Then who can, do; them who can't, recruit?

MCM

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: compile+link Fujitsu Linux