From: jofo on
Hello All,

I need a little help on a SAS dataset. The data has a text field that
is actually a date.

Like this.

beginning ending
8/11/2001 10/1/2001
12/1/2000 1/22/2001

The field is text.

How do a format this field as a date?

Seems easy enough, but I can't seem to get it.

Thanks.

From: Nat on
Hi Jofo,

This could be one of the ways to look at your problem:

data sam1(drop=beginning ending);
length beginning ending $10;
input beginning ending ;
beginning1=input(beginning,mmddyy10.); /* convert character to
numeric using appropriate date format */
ending1=input(ending,mmddyy10.); /* convert character to
numeric using appropriate date format */
format beginning1 ending1 mmddyy10.; /* format the new
variables using the same format */
cards;
8/11/2001 10/1/2001
12/1/2000 1/22/2001
;

Regards,
Nat

From: patho on
Hope this helps
if you want to read character data into numeric data, use the input
function.
I nice link ( personal opinion) to quickly read is
http://www.pauldickman.com/teaching/sas/char_to_num.php

an example
==========

data step;
format beginning $10. ending $10.;
beginning = '8/11/2001';
ending = '10/1/2001';
output;
beginning = '12/1/2000';
ending = '1/22/2001';
output;
run;

data step2;
format date_begin date_end mmddyy10.;
set step;
date_begin = input(beginning,mmddyy10.);
date_end = input(ending,mmddyy10.);
run;

proc contents data=step2;
run;