From: Seth B. Seth on
I have installed a brand new SBS 2008 stnd server with a Mainpine Iq express
2 port Fax Board. I rcv faxes with no problems. However when I send i get
Line Busy. I have had the lines tested. ( Mainpine suggestion ) as they
thought it may be noisey line. however Fax machines this would replace work
fine on same line. Phone company tested lines and they are clean. I have had
Main pine login and install the latest firmware. This also did not resolve
issue. I have also removed this card and installed it in My sbs2003 and it
works with no issue. (same server hardware) I have looked online for persons
with similar issues. I found one post that had a siilar issue with microsoft
moderator basically telling him it was a issue with recipient fax system.
(all of them?) the Poster belives it is an OSS issue. If he dialed a fax # to
a machine next to him and hit the manual rcv at sametime then it would rcv
fax. if not the fax machine will not even ring. He believes it is a timing
issue of some sort in OS control. I have not tried the fax to a nearby system
but I have no doubt it will be the same. I and My client are not happy. he
would like fax capability for server. I would like to be paid for hardware
and service. Is there a resolution to this technical problem.
From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
Derrek.sypert(a)mainpine.com is someone who posts here regularly about
SBS2008 and MainPine
Maybe he can help on why it is not working?

Sorry, I've given up on Faxing in SBS2008 and got everyone on an e fax
soltion, Cheaper in most cases.
Derrek.sypert(a)mainpine.com

Russ

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
Easy Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com

From: Chris Puckett [MSFT] on
1. Do you have to dial a 9 or some other code to make an outgoing call on
that telephone line? Maybe that is not getting dialed?

2. Are there any other devices (usual suspects are phone, fax, or multi
function printer) that might be connected to that same telephone line
somewhere else in the office or building?

3. If you call that fax number (that SBS 2008 is connected to) from
somewhere else, does the modem receive the incoming call notification (ie. a
light blinks on the modem)? Can the modem/SBS 2008 answer that call or does
something else answer it (indicating another device is connected to the same
line)?

--
Chris Puckett

From: Seth B. on

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" wrote:

> 1. Do you have to dial a 9 or some other code to make an outgoing call on
> that telephone line? Maybe that is not getting dialed?

---answer: No I do not have to dial a number or code.

> 2. Are there any other devices (usual suspects are phone, fax, or multi
> function printer) that might be connected to that same telephone line
> somewhere else in the office or building?

---answer: No. the line(s) come from the 66 block direct to the Fax
Machines. Punch down, server, fax machines all in same room. There are no
other devices on the Line(s)

> 3. If you call that fax number (that SBS 2008 is connected to) from
> somewhere else, does the modem receive the incoming call notification (ie. a
> light blinks on the modem)? Can the modem/SBS 2008 answer that call or does
> something else answer it (indicating another device is connected to the same
> line)?

---answer: The modem is an internal card. No lights to blink. If I unplug
the fax machines the dialed numbers will ring and not pickup. If I plug the
lines into the server and dial I get the usual fax initialization tones.

From: Seth B. on
Given every ones experience with things that should work but don't for some
reason or another an alternate solution may have to be implemented. Having
said that. Microsoft has put out a product that many base thier lively hood
off of. For something as simple as this and at the cost of just the OS it
should have been rectified immediately. To give SBS a we will deal with it at
leasure attitude or your using SBS what do you expect. Is very irresponsible
to thier customers. It works fine in SBS 2003. ...Ahh well rant done.

What efax solution do you use?