From: J K on
Hi,
I have a server with 2 HD mirrored and RAID 5 on three drives. I don't
know how I did it but I installed SBS 2008 on the mirrored volume and now I
cannot access the striped volume because the MBR is on that volume. Can I
move the MBR to the mirrored partition without reinstalling Windows?

Thanks,

From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
I'm confused
You can boot off the Mirror and get into SBS2008
But you can't access the RAID 5 because the MBR is on it?
Or does it try to boot off the RAID 5?

if it's trying to boot off the RAID 5
Set the order of preference in Boot to the Mirror.

If that is not it please explain what the symptom is and what you want it to
do.
Thanks
Russ

Russell Grover - SBITS.Biz [SBS-MVP] MCP, MCPS, MCNPS, SBSC
Remote Small Business Server/Computer Support - www.SBITS.Biz
BPOS - Microsoft Online Services - www.BPOSMadeEasy.com
Easy Redirect to Microsoft's New SBS Public Forum - www.SBSRepair.com

From: Steve Foster on
J K wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a server with 2 HD mirrored and RAID 5 on three drives. I don't
>know how I did it but I installed SBS 2008 on the mirrored volume and now
>I cannot access the striped volume because the MBR is on that volume. Can
>I move the MBR to the mirrored partition without reinstalling Windows?

Unless your logical drives are fairly large (>2TB), they *all* have MBRs
on them (the MBR is where the partitiion table is held).

Didn't you want to install SBS on the mirror? (that would seem to be the
logical place to put it, and use the RAID5 for storage).

--
Steve Foster
------------
From: Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] on
Steve
I think he's talking about Active Boot sector? but not sure myself.

From: Steve Foster on
Russ (SBITS.Biz) [SBS-MVP] wrote:

> Steve
> I think he's talking about Active Boot sector? but not sure myself.

Multiple "drives" can have Active partitions, since that's just a flag
in the MBR table.

The BIOS will try and bootstrap from the highest-priority drive that
has a partition marked as Active (I'm ignoring GPT entirely for the
purposes of this discussion). Unfortunately, if you have a drive with a
partition marked Active that doesn't have a bootloader on it that's
higher-priority than another Active partition that _does_ have a
bootloader, you might get the dreaded "Operating System Not Found" (or
similar) from the BIOS.

--
Steve Foster