From: lynn smith on

YOu can try the util for this problem or you can defragment your data shift another drive otherwise your data will be lost.
and you can use the<a href="http://www.exchangemailboxrepair.com/"> Exchange Mailbox Repair</a> for Recover permanently and corrupted deleted Exchange mailboxes and emails.

Andy Desborough wrote:

SBS2003 Exchange mailbox store drive full
26-Mar-10

Hi all,

Having problems due to lack of space on a customers D drive which runs out
of space and dismounts the mailbox store. I have deleted emails and cleared
space, which only creates a 100Mb or so. Presumably I now need to eseutil /d
but there is not enough free space on D: drive to do this with the mailbox
store being around 20Gb.

There is an additional data drive installed, so if I dismount the store and
do a Eseutil /d /t "f:\temp.edb" will this do the defrag and then copy
back/reduce the size of the original file, or do I then need to delete and
copy back the temp over to the original? Generally is it safe to
copy/delete/move these files around as long as the mailbox store is
dismounted?

Thanks,
Andy.

On Friday, March 26, 2010 5:49 AM
Andy Desborough wrote:

[...]

On Friday, March 26, 2010 9:22 AM
Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] wrote:

Depending on the size and relibilty of the extra drive, I might considerjust
Depending on the size and relibilty of the extra drive, I might consider
just moving the exchange data to the other drive.

You could also use windirstat to find what is taking all the space and see
if you can recover some. Lots of space eaters can be trimmed.

lastly, purging the exchange data base of whitespace only postpones the problem.
As more mail is added it will grow again. Clearing out the dedicated but
unused space inside of the edb files will give you some breathing room, but
how much is dependent on what you have deleted.

Are the users storing attachments? Clear them out.

-
Larry
Please post the resolution to your
issue so others may benefit
-
Get Your SBS Health Check at
www.sbsbpa.com

On Friday, March 26, 2010 12:41 PM
Andy Desborough wrote:

Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for the reply.

I have been thoroughly through all the directories many times in the past
and now of the 25Gb partiton just over 24Gb is the email folders. The
majority of this email was in use by 3 users who've I have got to clear a good
few Gb's of their junk but this obviously has not freed up any space on the DB
size, hence why I am thinking of the eseutil option. I am primarily looking
just to tide them over until we can get their email hosted externally so long
term is not a problem. The extra drive is just a SATA drive instead of the
RAID5 array so I'd rather not move the DB there if possible. Could you please
just confirm the process if I were to us it as a temporary thing? i.e.

Dismount store

exchsrvr\bin\eseutil /d "D:\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata\priv1.edb" /tf:\temp.edb

once the process is finished, delete(or move) the original priv.edb out and
copy the temp.edb back to D:\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata\priv1.edb

Delete log files

Mount store

Do a backup

Thanks,
Andy.

"Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]" wrote:

On Friday, March 26, 2010 4:46 PM
SteveB wrote:

An offline defrag requires you have 110% of free space.
An offline defrag requires you have 110% of free space. Since you are
practically full on that partition already you will have to utilize that SATA
drive anyway. The defrag can take a very long time and potentially might
fail. it is possible after all of that you would only regain a small amount of
space. I'd do as Larry suggests and just move the database using the built
in wizard to the SATA drive even though it is not RAID 5 especially since you
say this is temporary until they can get external hosted mail setup.

On Friday, March 26, 2010 5:08 PM
SuperGumby [SBS MVP] wrote:

also, you move the store in Exchange System Manager WHEN THE STORE ISONLINE.
also, you move the store in Exchange System Manager WHEN THE STORE IS
ONLINE. The move process itself dismounts the store, moves the edb/stm
pairs, and remounts them.

additionally, in respect of performance, NTFS:
works well with >40% free space.
starts to get impacted at about 30% free space.
is heavily impacted at 20% free space.
begs for mercy at 10% free space.
regardless of absolute values.

a 20GB store _requires_ a partition >30GB.
a 20GB partition should have a store no larger than 14GB, roughly.
if the partition contains only the store.

On Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:25 AM
kj [SBS MVP] wrote:

1) Full, verified backup *first* !
1) Full, verified backup *first* !
2) Make sure users empty their deleted items folder.
3) reduce the deleted item /mailbox recovery time to 0
4) allow at least one Exchange maitenance cycle.
5) another full Exchange Backup

Then proceed. - A lot of work just to get back a few GB of space.

Andy Desborough wrote:

--
/kj

On Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:12 PM
Ab wrote:

Yes, you are basically correct - just ran this myself on a shrinking volume.1.
Yes, you are basically correct - just ran this myself on a shrinking volume.

1. Stop the Information Store service
2. Run the command line you have
3. Restart the Information Store service

It will probably take a couple of hours - depends on the speed of your
system. Note the defrag command deletes original and copies the
defragged priv1.edb back itself - you do not need to do that.

Andy Desborough wrote:

On Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:43 AM
v-robme wrote:

Hello Andy,Thanks for your post and others' suggestions.
Hello Andy,

Thanks for your post and others' suggestions.

First of all, I agree that it is better to extend your storage by adding other drives and move the Exchange server database to bigger disk drive as long term solution.

How to manually move the database file location in Exchange Server 2003)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915/en-us

Meanwhile, just for your reference, you may manually remove transaction log files that are not required to reduce database size and then perform offline defragment etc.

How to remove Exchange Server transaction log files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145/en-us

Note, this article also contains information about deleting the transaction log files. In a worst-case disaster scenario, you may not be able to recover all your data without the
log files if the database becomes corrupted. Transaction log files provide a high level of recoverability. Therefore, you should only perform the procedure that is discussed
in this article as a last resort in emergency situations if you cannot complete a full backup. A full backup permanently deletes the committed logs automatically after backing
them up.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Robbin Meng(MSFT)
Microsoft Online Newsgroup Support

Please post your SBS 2008 related questions to the SBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/sbs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

Please post your EBS related questions to the EBS newsgroup on Connect website:
https://connect.microsoft.com/ebs08/community/discussion/richui/default.aspx

If you want to use a newsreader other than a web forum to access these newsgroups,
please refer to the following blog to apply NNTP password and configure a newsreader:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2008/11/02/signing-up-for-the-sbs-2008-newsgroups.aspx

Scrolling in WPF Toolkit?s Column Chart
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/0939d60c-8e17-4a27-b898-1fc772d2d6f6/scrolling-in-wpf-toolkits-column-chart.aspx