From: Man-wai Chang on
What are their difference?

Why is a card reader able to read the 1G but not the newer 2G card?

Thank you in advance!
From: Conor on
On 20/06/2010 11:16, Man-wai Chang wrote:
> What are their difference?
>
> Why is a card reader able to read the 1G but not the newer 2G card?
>
> Thank you in advance!

Some are a different density and the reader has problems with it - the
same as early computers when larger capacity DIMMS came out - they'd see
a double sided one but only half the capacity of a single sided high
density.

--
Conor www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
From: Paul on
Man-wai Chang wrote:
> What are their difference?
>
> Why is a card reader able to read the 1G but not the newer 2G card?
>
> Thank you in advance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDHC#SDHC

"Standard-SD cards (non-SDHC) with greater than 1 GB capacity

According to the specification,[19] the maximum capacity of a
standard SD card is defined by (BLOCKNR � BLOCK_LEN), where
BLOCKNR may be (4,096 � 512) and BLOCK_LEN may be up to 2,048.
This allows a capacity of 4 GB. The main problem is that some
of the card readers support only a block (or, sector) size of 512 bytes,
so greater than 1 GB non-SDHC cards may cause compatibility difficulties
for users of such devices."

"SDHC

To increase addressable storage, SDHC uses sector addressing instead
of byte addressing in the previous SD standard."

So up to 1GB, byte addressing, with 512 byte blocks, should always work.

Devices bigger than 1GB, may need larger sector size, like 2048 bytes.

And once over 4GB, the standard changes to SDHC.

Paul
From: Man-wai Chang on
> This allows a capacity of 4 GB. The main problem is that some
> of the card readers support only a block (or, sector) size of 512 bytes,
> so greater than 1 GB non-SDHC cards may cause compatibility difficulties
> for users of such devices."
> So up to 1GB, byte addressing, with 512 byte blocks, should always work.
> Devices bigger than 1GB, may need larger sector size, like 2048 bytes.

You meant if I formatted a 4G SD card using 512-byte blocks, the old
card reader might be able to read it like it did with older 1G SD cards?
From: Man-wai Chang on
> Some are a different density and the reader has problems with it - the
> same as early computers when larger capacity DIMMS came out - they'd see
> a double sided one but only half the capacity of a single sided high
> density.

Further detail? :)