From: Helen Maguire Helen on
,I have SD03*10 in a cell and I want in a separate cell, just to have the
numbers after the *. Obviously with lots of data, the digits after the *
could be 1 to many characters so I cannot use the Left function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't waste any more time!
From: Ron Rosenfeld on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 12:43:01 -0700, Helen Maguire <Helen
Maguire(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>,I have SD03*10 in a cell and I want in a separate cell, just to have the
>numbers after the *. Obviously with lots of data, the digits after the *
>could be 1 to many characters so I cannot use the Left function.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't waste any more time!

=MID(A1,FIND("*",A1)+1,255)

255 just needs to be some value that is at least as large as the length of your
longest value to be retrieved.
--ron
From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
=RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND("*",A2))
--
David Biddulph

From: HpyTrvlr69 on

"Helen Maguire" wrote:

> ,I have SD03*10 in a cell and I want in a separate cell, just to have the
> numbers after the *. Obviously with lots of data, the digits after the *
> could be 1 to many characters so I cannot use the Left function.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated so I don't waste any more time!

You could place this formula to the direct right of the cell that you want
to parse. "CELL" = the cell address to the left of the formula where the data
is stored.

=MID(CELL,FIND("*",CELL1)+1,LEN(CELL)-FIND("*",CELL,1))

Hope its not too complicated and that it helps. HpY :)
From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
You can make it less complicated by using the RIGHT function instead of MID
(see my earlier suggestion).
--
David Biddulph