From: Cecille Chen on
Hello all,

An image that I sliced in Photoshop then imported into Dreamweaver is
showing little white dots on the right edge, just where the slice
borders are. I set all cellspace/borders to 0 and made sure the cell
was the exact size of the image but the dots still remained. When I
put the image into a nested table, the spaces create a thin line.

Here are screenshots:

http://www.c2medialab.com/testpros3.jpg
http://www.c2medialab.com/testpros.jpg
http://www.c2medialab.com/testpros2.jpg

I've seen old posts on this forum saying this is a "shim" graphic
creating extra space. People have solved this problem by deleting the
column containing the shim pixels or deleting spacer.gif, but when I
do so all the slices go out of alignment.

How do I get rid of the shim graphic so that there is a clean edge? I
would very much appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,
Cecille
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message
<5eec53a6-9a4e-42e6-9f25-3438be156624(a)q18g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
Cecille Chen <mcthc7(a)gmail.com> writes
>Hello all,
>
>An image that I sliced in Photoshop then imported into Dreamweaver is
>showing little white dots on the right edge, just where the slice
>borders are. I set all cellspace/borders to 0 and made sure the cell
>was the exact size of the image but the dots still remained. When I
>put the image into a nested table, the spaces create a thin line.
>
>Here are screenshots:
>
>http://www.c2medialab.com/testpros3.jpg
>http://www.c2medialab.com/testpros.jpg
>http://www.c2medialab.com/testpros2.jpg
>
>I've seen old posts on this forum saying this is a "shim" graphic
>creating extra space. People have solved this problem by deleting the
>column containing the shim pixels or deleting spacer.gif, but when I
>do so all the slices go out of alignment.
>
>How do I get rid of the shim graphic so that there is a clean edge? I
>would very much appreciate some guidance.

Fireworks (so possibly Dreamweaver) tends to put a line of transparent
gif shims - 1 pixel wide - down the edge and along the top of a sliced
graphic table. The blurb says it is to hold the table size in some
browsers. They are always 1 pixel wide by the depth (or length) of the
cell they are in. The graphic is a single transparent pixel that is
placed in each relevant cell and given a length in the Properties
dialogue.

I'm not sure what is happening in your case but there are a couple of
ways you can change things. It looks like your single cell may have
become a jpg and so not transparent. To do it the way Fireworks /
Dreamweaver intend, you need to make sure the single pixel shim is
transparent and a GIF. for a start.

In the past I have successfully swapped the column or row from right to
left or bottom to top.

It is also possible to simply delete the row or column and see if it
works.

I can see how that will still leave the background showing through and
that is probably white in your case. 2 ways to handle that - one is to
make the background to the cell(s) giving the problem the came colour as
the rest of the adjacent graphic - black in one case. Perhaps simpler,
if you retain the shim column, is to make a non-transparent GIF to match
the adjacent colour - a 1 pixel black called shim1.gif would sort the
black one and you would Change the shim name in each instance in that
column. Then another shim called shim2.gif in a different colour is
there is a second clash.

It really isn't as complex as all that looks written here.

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay