From: Dudley Hanks on

> On 2010-04-17 20:31:03 -0700, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> said:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:33:07 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one(a)this.address>
>> wrote:
>> : In article <D34yn.2014$Z6.1605(a)edtnps82>, dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca
>> : says...
>> : >
>> : > Just wondering if the face has to be human? Or, are other forms of
>> the term
>> : > allowable? ie: animals, clocks, cliffs ... ?
>> : >
>> : > Take Care,
>> : > Dudley
>> :
>> : I believe when the topic was first posted it said 'close up, really
>> : close' and 'no pets/animals'.
>>
>> But Michener the guide dog, for example, is an honorary person, is he
>> not?
>>
>> Bob
>
> Check rpe.35mm Feb 5, 2010:
> <l6dpm5lbr962snj084mnaeqokcnfphbhbm(a)4ax.com>
>
> Where he propose the following;
>
> "OK, here's the deal: in an attempt to encourage participation, the SI
> Dictator has decided to announce multiple mandates with a "capture
> date" so you can shoot for multiple mandates, and take more time for
> the harder mandates. With that in mind, here's the next three
> mandates, all of which have a capture date starting today:
>
> Lines and Intersections: self explanatory. Due March 7th, 2010.
>
> F8 and be there: while any phot shot at F8 is acceptable, the hope is
> that you'll submit something journalistic, a photo where you were in
> the right place at the right time and just fired at will. Due April
> 11th, 2010
>
> Facescape: a merciless shot of a person's face in high detail. No
> animals, building facades, just human beings, please! The human face
> is a source of endless interest, so find someone interesting, shoot
> them, and show us the results! Due May 16th, 2010.
>
> The shoot-in is located here:
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin
>
> The rulez are here:
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
>
> I'll have sample shots and galleries posted within a day or two."
>
> I guess he didn't X-post to rec.photo.digital. Sometimes you need that
> X-post.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

The error is probably on my part. My screen reader can get really finicky,
sometimes.

Thanks for the update,
Dudley

From: Savageduck on
On 2010-04-17 21:10:25 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> said:

> "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:33:07 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one(a)this.address>
>> wrote:
>> : In article <D34yn.2014$Z6.1605(a)edtnps82>, dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca
>> : says...
>> : >
>> : > Just wondering if the face has to be human? Or, are other forms of
>> the term
>> : > allowable? ie: animals, clocks, cliffs ... ?
>> : >
>> : > Take Care,
>> : > Dudley
>> :
>> : I believe when the topic was first posted it said 'close up, really
>> : close' and 'no pets/animals'.
>>
>> But Michener the guide dog, for example, is an honorary person, is he not?
>>
>> Bob
>
> He is to me ...
>
> But, I'll probably use human models (read "my kids") for this one. Still,
> those big ears, long snout, intimidating teeth and expressive eyes could
> produce some rather dramatic contours ...

You really shouldn't say these things about your kids.
:-)

Having said that, you had some good shots of your daughter. There is a
willing subject to work with.

> The real problem will be to select a lens that will get me in close enough
> for it to work. I might have to resort to a 50mm with 2X converter to get a
> good affect.
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Try mounting your camera on a tripod and have your subject move in or
away, combined with zoom or portrait lens.
If you are using some sort of Live View, that should help with framing,
and take some of the guess work out of it for you.

I gather what vision you have will allow you to place the subject in
that frame.

You might not need that 2X converter.

Good luck.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Dudley Hanks on

> On 2010-04-17 21:10:25 -0700, "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca>
> said:
>

>> "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:33:07 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one(a)this.address>
>>> wrote:
>>> : In article <D34yn.2014$Z6.1605(a)edtnps82>, dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca
>>> : says...
>>> : >
>>> : > Just wondering if the face has to be human? Or, are other forms of
>>> the term
>>> : > allowable? ie: animals, clocks, cliffs ... ?
>>> : >
>>> : > Take Care,
>>> : > Dudley
>>> :
>>> : I believe when the topic was first posted it said 'close up, really
>>> : close' and 'no pets/animals'.
>>>
>>> But Michener the guide dog, for example, is an honorary person, is he
>>> not?
>>>
>>> Bob
>>
>> He is to me ...
>>
>> But, I'll probably use human models (read "my kids") for this one.
>> Still,
>> those big ears, long snout, intimidating teeth and expressive eyes could
>> produce some rather dramatic contours ...
>
> You really shouldn't say these things about your kids.
> :-)
>
> Having said that, you had some good shots of your daughter. There is a
> willing subject to work with.
>

>> The real problem will be to select a lens that will get me in close
>> enough
>> for it to work. I might have to resort to a 50mm with 2X converter to
>> get a
>> good affect.
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> Try mounting your camera on a tripod and have your subject move in or
> away, combined with zoom or portrait lens.
> If you are using some sort of Live View, that should help with framing,
> and take some of the guess work out of it for you.
>
> I gather what vision you have will allow you to place the subject in that
> frame.
>
> You might not need that 2X converter.
>
> Good luck.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

What I see (even in the LCD) viewfinder is extremely situationally
dependant -- ie: there needs to be extreme contrast if I am to frame the
image myself.

I'm playing with the idea of using a television for this one ...

If I use the av cable to hook the XSi to a TV, and set the camera on a
tripod as you suggested, I can then tell my subject what I'm after and get
him or her to adjust his / her position to achieve the desired affect.

If I can manipulate the lights to get enough contrast, I might be able to
add a bit of feedback in the positioning process to minimize
interpretational variance.

I like this mandate, and think it will be a lot of fun for both myself and
the kids ...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Peter on
> On 2010-04-17 20:31:03 -0700, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> said:
>
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:33:07 +1200, Peter Huebner <no.one(a)this.address>
>> wrote:
>> : In article <D34yn.2014$Z6.1605(a)edtnps82>, dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca
>> : says...
>> : >
>> : > Just wondering if the face has to be human? Or, are other forms of
>> the term
>> : > allowable? ie: animals, clocks, cliffs ... ?
>> : >
>> : > Take Care,
>> : > Dudley
>> :
>> : I believe when the topic was first posted it said 'close up, really
>> : close' and 'no pets/animals'.
>>
>> But Michener the guide dog, for example, is an honorary person, is he
>> not?
>>
>> Bob
>
> Check rpe.35mm Feb 5, 2010:
> <l6dpm5lbr962snj084mnaeqokcnfphbhbm(a)4ax.com>
>
> Where he propose the following;
>
> "OK, here's the deal: in an attempt to encourage participation, the SI
> Dictator has decided to announce multiple mandates with a "capture
> date" so you can shoot for multiple mandates, and take more time for
> the harder mandates. With that in mind, here's the next three
> mandates, all of which have a capture date starting today:
>
> Lines and Intersections: self explanatory. Due March 7th, 2010.
>
> F8 and be there: while any phot shot at F8 is acceptable, the hope is
> that you'll submit something journalistic, a photo where you were in
> the right place at the right time and just fired at will. Due April
> 11th, 2010
>
> Facescape: a merciless shot of a person's face in high detail. No
> animals, building facades, just human beings, please! The human face
> is a source of endless interest, so find someone interesting, shoot
> them, and show us the results! Due May 16th, 2010.
>
> The shoot-in is located here:
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin
>
> The rulez are here:
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage
>
> I'll have sample shots and galleries posted within a day or two."
>
> I guess he didn't X-post to rec.photo.digital. Sometimes you need that
> X-post.

THX

--
Peter

From: Eric Stevens on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:40:05 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>Eric Stevens wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:14:17 -0400, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote in message

>>> I missed it too. Perhaps Bowser will clarify.
>>
>> I too would be grateful. I've already sent in a cat face.
>
>The shoot-in rulz are very strict and cannot ever be bent, even the
>littlest bit. EVER!
>
>:-)

I'm not trying to bend the rules. Its just that I missed them the
first time round.

Changing the subject: have you received my wall paper? Yahoo seems to
have been bouncing it several times.

Eric Stevens
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4