From: Bubba on
I don't understand how a sensor can claim 14 pixels, and the photo
itself be 4.

I don't understand what the reviews (and I've read a ton today) mean
when they say it can't zoom. (At *all*?)

I want to know how this sensor is better than the CMOS sensor in a
Canon SX S1.

I have other questions but will stop here. Thanks to the posters who
have been patient and answered other thread/questions I started. (It
just amazes me that in this day and age, someone would even think of
manufacturing a 3.6MP camera...and put in a state-of-the-art
sensor...that's 14MP...14MP of--what?)

From: Rich on
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote in news:2d63ad63-d830-4403-b532-
9d42dfc7f778(a)r18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

> I don't understand how a sensor can claim 14 pixels, and the photo
> itself be 4.

Foveon has its issues, but it is prima proof that Bayer and AA filters do
rob images of resolution and sharpness.
From: nospam on
In article
<2d63ad63-d830-4403-b532-9d42dfc7f778(a)r18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't understand how a sensor can claim 14 pixels, and the photo
> itself be 4.

they count each layer as a pixel which is bogus. it's a 4.6 megapixel
sensor.

> I don't understand what the reviews (and I've read a ton today) mean
> when they say it can't zoom. (At *all*?)

the dp1 and dp2 have fixed focal length lenses with digital zoom.

the sd14 and sd15 are slrs and can use various lenses, both zoom and
fixed focal length.

> I want to know how this sensor is better than the CMOS sensor in a
> Canon SX S1.

it's not.

> I have other questions but will stop here. Thanks to the posters who
> have been patient and answered other thread/questions I started. (It
> just amazes me that in this day and age, someone would even think of
> manufacturing a 3.6MP camera...and put in a state-of-the-art
> sensor...that's 14MP...14MP of--what?)

first of all, it's not a state of the art sensor, but since it only has
4.6 mp, they need to call it 14 to make it sound competitive. they also
pump up the sharpening too.
From: nospam on
In article <Q8WdnQRa9pi2vFTWnZ2dnUVZ_ugAAAAA(a)giganews.com>, Rich
<none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> Foveon has its issues,

yes it does.

> but it is prima proof that Bayer and AA filters do
> rob images of resolution and sharpness.

nope. it's proof that false advertising and high levels of sharpening
can fool people.
From: Ray Fischer on
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>I don't understand how a sensor can claim 14 pixels, and the photo
>itself be 4.

That's easy - Sigma lies. They pretend that you can take a single
pixel and split it up into three colors and have that be three pixels.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

 |  Next  |  Last