From: Ray Fischer on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> >slightly.
>>
>> It's significant.
>
>no it isn't.
>
>> >it's certainly not 1/3rd or whatever other silly math the foveon
>> >fanbois claim.
>>
>> It is actually not too far from 1/3.
>
>it's approximately the same. both bayer and a foveon sensor with the
>same number of pixels will resolve approximately the same, roughly
>70-80% of nyquist.

Tests show otherwise.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: nospam on
In article <4bcb8f32$0$1651$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Ray Fischer
<rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:

> >> It is actually not too far from 1/3.
> >
> >it's approximately the same. both bayer and a foveon sensor with the
> >same number of pixels will resolve approximately the same, roughly
> >70-80% of nyquist.
>
> Tests show otherwise.

which ones?
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <B6ezn.63223$vC3.49470(a)newsfe04.iad>, Martin Brown says...
> It isn't the Bayer mask that fails in this particular case it is the
> chroma subsampling.

No problem if you shoot RAW and then postprocess with 1x1 chroma
subsampling (vs 2x1).
--

Alfred Molon
In article <190420101220067533%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...

> > Luminance requires all *three* colour components. If you do not capture
> > all three colour components at each pixel, you do not capture luminance
> > at each pixel.
>
> you may not capture full luminance but you do capture enough
> information to calculate the correct value. the system works.

Bayer does not capture the luminance at the pixel level, period. However
the green channel is a good estimate of luminance and half of the pixels
in a Bayer sensor are green, which is why the performance of a Bayer
sensor is not as abysmal as the lack of 2/3 of the colour information
would imply.
--

Alfred Molon
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> There are a handful of cases where the Foveon sensor might give a better
> >> image and one of those is when photographing fine black detail on
> >> saturated red or blue flowers. Rest of the time it is all marketting.
> >
> > black detail on saturated colours should be ok with bayer because
> > there's a big luminance difference and bayer generally gets that right.
>
> It isn't the Bayer mask that fails in this particular case it is the
> chroma subsampling.

bayer samples colour at half the rate of luminance. humans can't see
the difference, but some think they can (like those who can 'hear'
differences in speaker cables).

> Try it on a test chart with a Wratten 25 filter and
> you will see what I mean. There will be a factor of 2 difference in the
> effective resolution between horizontal and vertical in the red channel.

if you filter only red, you will reduce the resolution of the sensor
but that's not a real world scenario.

> Foveon save their images as fully chroma sampled JPEGs so the issue of
> errors in the subsampled chroma decoding approximations do not arise.

that's a plus but humans can't tell the difference except in extreme
(i.e., not real-world and contrived) cases.

> > where bayer has a problem is with two different saturated colours, such
> > as red/blue, especially if the luminance is similar. the human eye
> > can't handle that particularly well either.
>
> The problem arises later in the imaging chain. Bayer sensor struggles a
> bit with a pure red (or pure blue) monochrome images because it has
> fewer independent pixels.

true but nothing in this world is 'pure saturated red' (or blue or
green). even bright red objects have a little blue or green in it.

> Normally the luminance channel is able to hide
> these defects, but when the situation arises where the luminance channel
> is corrupted by the chroma channels then you lose detail.

and that only happens in edge cases, like red/blue test charts. that's
why the foveon fans love those tests, despite it not being relevant to
real world photography.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: SI Facescape
Next: FF camera with mirrorless design