From: Chris Malcolm on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <MPG.2635a0118e4698e198c2a2(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
> Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>> In article <180420100922201916%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...
>>
>> > wrong. every pixel captures luminance.
>>
>> No. In a Bayer sensor every pixel captures either the red, green or blue
>> channel. This is NOT luminance.

> it's one component of the luminance, with the remaining two later
> calculated.

>> > wrong, as bayer has proven.
>>
>> No - you are wrong.

> so all of the zillions of photos that very accurately reproduce the
> subject all have completely bogus luminance? how can that be?

Because it's not as black and white an issue as you seem to think :-)

It's not a case of having perfect luminance information or completely
bogus information. It's a question of exactly what proportion of
theoretically perfect complete information can be captured by the two
different methods.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: nospam on
In article <MPG.2636bbab4140b21698c2a4(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Luminance requires all *three* colour components. If you do not capture
> all three colour components at each pixel, you do not capture luminance
> at each pixel.

you may not capture full luminance but you do capture enough
information to calculate the correct value. the system works.

> > > The accuracy is not that high - there are some errors which have the
> > > effect of reducing the effective resolution.
> >
> > it's actually very high, that's why photos look as good as they do.
> >
> > can you point to a unbiased test (i.e., not from foveon) that shows
> > otherwise?
>
> Ever heard of colour aliasing (to make one example)?

ever heard of luminance aliasing? by not having an anti-alias filter,
aliasing with foveon worse.

plus, false colour due to aliasing on bayer is very rare these days
anyway.
From: nospam on
In article <833m9nF5onU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris Malcolm
<cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> It's not a case of having perfect luminance information or completely
> bogus information. It's a question of exactly what proportion of
> theoretically perfect complete information can be captured by the two
> different methods.

and that's where bayer wins, by quite a bit.
From: Ray Fischer on
Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <180420102251244632%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...

>> > So you agree that in a Bayer sensor the luminance is not captured in
>> > each pixel.
>>
>> don't twist what i said. luminance is measured at every pixel, even
>> though only one component is actually captured.
>
>Luminance requires all *three* colour components.

Luminance requires no color at all. By definition is is only the
brightness of the pixel.

> If you do not capture
>all three colour components at each pixel, you do not capture luminance
>at each pixel.

And yet images captured with Bayer sensors have color AND luminance
information in them.

Your claims contradict reality.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> >it's approximately the same. both bayer and a foveon sensor with the
>> >same number of pixels will resolve approximately the same, roughly
>> >70-80% of nyquist.
>>
>> Tests show otherwise.
>
>which ones?

Look at DPReview's discussion of Sigma's cameras. I can't provide the
link right now.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: SI Facescape
Next: FF camera with mirrorless design