From: nospam on
In article <MPG.26380d741bc11bf298c2a7(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Bayer does not capture the luminance at the pixel level, period. However
> the green channel is a good estimate of luminance and half of the pixels
> in a Bayer sensor are green, which is why the performance of a Bayer
> sensor is not as abysmal as the lack of 2/3 of the colour information
> would imply.

it's a good estimate but bayer does better than that by using the red
and blue pixels too.
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <180420101508449021%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...
> In article <MPG.2635a0118e4698e198c2a2(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
> Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <180420100922201916%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...
> >
> > > wrong. every pixel captures luminance.
> >
> > No. In a Bayer sensor every pixel captures either the red, green or blue
> > channel. This is NOT luminance.
>
> it's one component of the luminance, with the remaining two later
> calculated.

So you agree that in a Bayer sensor the luminance is not captured in
each pixel.

> > > wrong, as bayer has proven.
> >
> > No - you are wrong.
>
> so all of the zillions of photos that very accurately reproduce the
> subject all have completely bogus luminance? how can that be?

The accuracy is not that high - there are some errors which have the
effect of reducing the effective resolution.

--

Alfred Molon
In article <MPG.26360be21e9fe77b98c2a3(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred

> > > No. In a Bayer sensor every pixel captures either the red, green or blue
> > > channel. This is NOT luminance.
> >
> > it's one component of the luminance, with the remaining two later
> > calculated.
>
> So you agree that in a Bayer sensor the luminance is not captured in
> each pixel.

don't twist what i said. luminance is measured at every pixel, even
though only one component is actually captured. the other two are
calculated. the system works, and it works well.

> > > No - you are wrong.
> >
> > so all of the zillions of photos that very accurately reproduce the
> > subject all have completely bogus luminance? how can that be?
>
> The accuracy is not that high - there are some errors which have the
> effect of reducing the effective resolution.

it's actually very high, that's why photos look as good as they do.

can you point to a unbiased test (i.e., not from foveon) that shows
otherwise?
From: Martin Brown on
nospam wrote:
> In article
> <29295e42-9297-4868-bbd6-43ba857791fc(a)u37g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
> Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> red flare is not aliasing, however, the dp1/dp2 series have a red dot
>>> problem, although the latest versions have minimized it.
>> If you're not yanking my chain and are serious when you use the term
>> "red flare"--which no one on the threads I've started has even
>> acknowledged exists--
>
> this is the problem to which i refer:
>
> <http://www.testiweb.com/images/jpg/digital_cameras/Sigma%20dp1/Jpg%2095
> 0x%20or%20lower/foveon_flares_2_SDIM0025_950x.jpg>
> <http://www.testiweb.com/images/jpg/digital_cameras/Sigma%20dp1/Jpg%2095
> 0x%20or%20lower/foveon_flares_3_SDIM0043_950x.jpg>
> <http://raist3d.typepad.com/files/sigmanotoksunclouds.jpg>

I am probably in a minority of one here, but I think the Foveon flare
adds to the first of these images rather than detracts. But the fact
still remains that the sensor is pretty dire when faced with extreme
highlights in the field of view.

>> In a $500-$600 range, is a camera available that will lessen or do
>> away with red flare without the purchase of additional lenses or
>> filters?
>
> plenty of them.

You are still going to have to define what *you* mean by "red flare"
apart from some dopey bunch of software guys in the UK no-one else uses
the term.

>> So if these wacky Sigma cameras have no zoom except digital, but if
>> their partisans swear by the cameras' sensors' ability to get rid of/
>> diminish this flare, that makes me ask Why would these people not want
>> another P&S camera that *has* optical zoom (or at least the ability to
>> attach a lens) AND a CMOS sensor.
>
> they're delusional.

There are a handful of cases where the Foveon sensor might give a better
image and one of those is when photographing fine black detail on
saturated red or blue flowers. Rest of the time it is all marketting.

I don't think the OP can be helped. He will not help himself by posting
an image to demonstrate the problem that he thinks he has. It is quite
possible that the thing he calls red flare is actually a decoding
artefact in the software that he happens to use!

Regards,
Martin Brown
From: nospam on
In article <pnczn.155939$y13.49322(a)newsfe12.iad>, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> There are a handful of cases where the Foveon sensor might give a better
> image and one of those is when photographing fine black detail on
> saturated red or blue flowers. Rest of the time it is all marketting.

black detail on saturated colours should be ok with bayer because
there's a big luminance difference and bayer generally gets that right.

where bayer has a problem is with two different saturated colours, such
as red/blue, especially if the luminance is similar. the human eye
can't handle that particularly well either.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: SI Facescape
Next: FF camera with mirrorless design