From: Ray Fischer on
Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>Ray Fischer <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:
>> Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

>>>They don't lie. It's a different kind of sensor with sufficiently
>>>different kinds of pixels and properties that the sensor megapixel
>
>> They lie.
>
>> When you measure the size of the image it produces you see that it is
>> 4.6 mega pixels. That is the cold, hard fact. No amount of sophisty,
>> lies, or self-serving bullshit will alter that fact.
>
>Of course it doesn't. But I was talking about the image implications
>of that fact.

There aren't any. Sigma lies.

> People are using image MP as a measure of image
>quality.

People do all manner of stupid things. That doesn't justify lying.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Alfred Molon on
In article <170420101740032851%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...
> the luminance resolution is about the same as another 4.6 megapixel
> sensor (alias artifacts is not resolution, it's false detail) and the
> eye can't see the extra chroma resolution.

Only if you capture black and white scenes, otherwise it is lower. Note
that red and blue channels are very poor estimates of luminance.

To properly capture luminance at each pixel you need the full colour
information at each pixel.
--

Alfred Molon
In article <MPG.26354f96de0fa53d98c2a1(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > the luminance resolution is about the same as another 4.6 megapixel
> > sensor (alias artifacts is not resolution, it's false detail) and the
> > eye can't see the extra chroma resolution.
>
> Only if you capture black and white scenes, otherwise it is lower. Note
> that red and blue channels are very poor estimates of luminance.

wrong. every pixel captures luminance.

> To properly capture luminance at each pixel you need the full colour
> information at each pixel.

wrong, as bayer has proven.
From: Ray Fischer on
Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>In article <170420101740032851%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...
>> the luminance resolution is about the same as another 4.6 megapixel
>> sensor (alias artifacts is not resolution, it's false detail) and the
>> eye can't see the extra chroma resolution.
>
>Only if you capture black and white scenes, otherwise it is lower.

A 4.6MP bayer sensor does indeed have lower resolution than does a
4.6MP foveon sensor. But notice how many cameras have 4.6MP Bayer
sensors.

>To properly capture luminance at each pixel

"Properly" according to whom and by what standard?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: nospam on
In article <4bcb4eb1$0$1610$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Ray Fischer
<rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:

> >> the luminance resolution is about the same as another 4.6 megapixel
> >> sensor (alias artifacts is not resolution, it's false detail) and the
> >> eye can't see the extra chroma resolution.
> >
> >Only if you capture black and white scenes, otherwise it is lower.
>
> A 4.6MP bayer sensor does indeed have lower resolution than does a
> 4.6MP foveon sensor.

slightly.

it's certainly not 1/3rd or whatever other silly math the foveon
fanbois claim.

> But notice how many cameras have 4.6MP Bayer
> sensors.

and then look at how many have foveon. it's not even 1/2 of 1%.

> >To properly capture luminance at each pixel
>
> "Properly" according to whom and by what standard?

a made up standard that doesn't matter to human vision.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: SI Facescape
Next: FF camera with mirrorless design