From: David J Taylor on
"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <etloZZDEnj0LFwmT(a)kennedym.demon.co.uk>, Kennedy McEwen
> says...
>> The only assumption I am making is that the laws of physics apply to
>> the
>> Foveon device, and that determines the absorption depth of each colour
>> in the silicon and also the QE of each colour.
>
> A few years ago, people (let's call them "experts") in this NG were
> postulating that by the laws of physics sensors with live view would
> have higher noise levels than sensors without. How wrong they were.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

I thought they were talking about implementation issues, not ones due to
the laws of physics. Perhaps you would like to provide a citation?

Many of today's sensors still have relatively poor QE, so there are still
improvements to be had.

David

From: Alfred Molon on
In article <hquqp1$snm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
says...
> I thought they were talking about implementation issues, not ones due to
> the laws of physics. Perhaps you would like to provide a citation?

They were explaining that because the light sensitive area would be
reduced by the live view circuitry, noise levels would rise. You might
want to google for these threads in the ng.

In any case, unless you are somebody who is designing these sensors, you
are not in a position to make qualified statements about what is
possible and what is not.
--

Alfred Molon
> In article <hquqp1$snm$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
> says...
>> I thought they were talking about implementation issues, not ones due
>> the laws of physics. Perhaps you would like to provide a citation?
>
> They were explaining that because the light sensitive area would be
> reduced by the live view circuitry, noise levels would rise. You might
> want to google for these threads in the ng.
>
> In any case, unless you are somebody who is designing these sensors, you
> are not in a position to make qualified statements about what is
> possible and what is not.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

If what you say is correct, Alfred, what they were saying is also correct,
and in accordance with the physics of the situation. Less sensitive area
captures fewer photons, which means more noise. Today, improved
micro-lenses and higher QE may well have offset the reduced sensing area.

A cite would still be welcome.

David

From: nospam on
In article <hqu821$1si$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> >> So how is the red and green content at the blue pixel location created,
> >> if
> >> not by spatial interpolation?
> >
> > it looks to its neighbors to calculate the missing components. it's not
> > upsizing anything.
>
> "looking to its neighbours" /is/ spatial interpolation.

however, the total number doesn't change. there are 12 million on the
sensor and 12 million in the image, or however many the sensor has.

> You could regard it as upsizing 1 million red sensor pixels to the red
> component of a 4 million pixel RGB image, if that helps.

except that bayer doesn't upsize each component and then combine them.
From: nospam on
In article <hqvhdi$doo$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> > They were explaining that because the light sensitive area would be
> > reduced by the live view circuitry, noise levels would rise. You might
> > want to google for these threads in the ng.
> >
> > In any case, unless you are somebody who is designing these sensors, you
> > are not in a position to make qualified statements about what is
> > possible and what is not.

> If what you say is correct, Alfred, what they were saying is also correct,
> and in accordance with the physics of the situation. Less sensitive area
> captures fewer photons, which means more noise. Today, improved
> micro-lenses and higher QE may well have offset the reduced sensing area.

people did say that live view would impact the noise levels, but the
missing piece is that sensor technology advanced which offsets any
loss.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Prev: SI Facescape
Next: FF camera with mirrorless design