From: Ray Fischer on
David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>"Ray Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
>[]
>> A piel is a picture element. You cannot split up the color
>> componenets of a pixel in some arbitrary way and then claim that a
>> single pixel is really three, four, or a thousand pixels.
>
>What makes you think I am? A Bayer camera described as, for example,
>12MP, typically has 3MP of red, 3MP of blue, and 6MP of green sensitive
>elements,

Wrong. Not "elements". Pixels. Nothing in the definition of "pixel"
implies any particular amount of color/luminence. Even though none of
the pixels contains full color information, they're still pixels.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: nospam on
In article <hr22r7$ted$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> It is spatial. Typically there are n red sensing pixels, but 4n RGB
> output pixels.

n luminance samples and n pixels output, exactly the same number. the
chroma is sampled at a lower rate.
From: Ray Fischer on
David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>>> .. where you find the basic spatial interpolation described, along with
>>> enhancements.
>>
>> interpolation yes, spatial no. there are n pixels going in, n pixels
>> coming out.
>
>It is spatial. Typically there are n red sensing pixels, but 4n RGB
>output pixels.

Are you nuts?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Kennedy McEwen <rkm(a)kennedym.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <230420102323351152%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
><nospam(a)nospam.invalid> writes
>>In article <hqu0s2$4fu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
>><david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> So how is the red and green content at the blue pixel location created, if
>>> not by spatial interpolation?
>>
>>it looks to its neighbors to calculate the missing components. it's not
>>upsizing anything.
>
>Time for you to look up the definition of "interpolation". It is a
>technique which used to upsize, but it is not the only one and neither
>is upsizing the only application of the technique.

Time for YOU to look up the definition of "pixel".

>Furthermore, a 640x480 sensor with a Bayer CFA is four interleaved
>arrays of 320x240 red, green, blue and green pixels. The output is three
>overlayed arrays of red green and blue pixels. Going from 320x240 to
>640x480 *IS* upsizing!

Can't you do math? If you dive 640x480 by four, and then multiple it
by four, then you still get 640x480 and no upsizing has occurred.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Kennedy McEwen <rkm(a)kennedym.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <230420102323351152%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
><nospam(a)nospam.invalid> writes
>>In article <hqu0s2$4fu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
>><david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> So how is the red and green content at the blue pixel location created, if
>>> not by spatial interpolation?
>>
>>it looks to its neighbors to calculate the missing components. it's not
>>upsizing anything.
>
>Time for you to look up the definition of "interpolation". It is a
>technique which used to upsize, but it is not the only one and neither
>is upsizing the only application of the technique.

Time for YOU to look up the definition of "pixel".

>Furthermore, a 640x480 sensor with a Bayer CFA is four interleaved
>arrays of 320x240 red, green, blue and green pixels. The output is three
>overlayed arrays of red green and blue pixels. Going from 320x240 to
>640x480 *IS* upsizing!

Can't you do math? If you divide 640x480 by four, and then multiply it