From: nospam on
In article <itlnZlEBky1LFwZd(a)kennedym.demon.co.uk>, Kennedy McEwen
<rkm(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> We start with 4Mp of red and blue, we end up with 12Mp of red and blue.
> >> Irrespective of what else is used in the interpolation that is *STILL*
> >> interpolation and upsizing.
> >
> >interpolation yes. no upsizing since it's already the correct size.
>
> No size change need occur when you upsize an image from 3Mp to 12Mp
> either.

the word upsize means a bigger size. up-size. just as downsize means
smaller.
From: nospam on
In article <9tagpWF9ny1LFw7+(a)kennedym.demon.co.uk>, Kennedy McEwen
<rkm(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> "Pixel" may have a number of meanings - there is the element in a JPEG
> >> file which has three components (R, G & B), and there is the region on a
> >> sensor which received light and turns it into an electrical signal.
> >
> >they're all spatial elements of an image.
> >
> Not necessarily. Pixel is derived from "picture element" not "spatial
> element".

yes it is, but it's spatial. it's the smallest part of an image, which
is *not* one colour component, i.e., red. it's a monochrome sample, an
rgb triplet, a cmyk quad, a hexachrome sextuplet, etc.

foveon layers are unquestionably *not* separate pixels. the only people
who claim they are is sigma, foveon and some of the users (not all,
surprisingly).

> There can be several picture elements, ie. pixels, at exactly
> the same spatial co-ordinates of multispectral images. I work with some
> images which have 128 pixels with exactly the same spatial coordinates!

examples please.
From: dj_nme on
nospam wrote:

>>> interpolation yes. no upsizing since it's already the correct size.
>> No size change need occur when you upsize an image from 3Mp to 12Mp
>> either.
>
> the word upsize means a bigger size. up-size. just as downsize means
> smaller.

It is a "filling in", not "up-sizing" that occurs.
Bayer CFA demosaicing doesn't make the (in this limited example) the 3mp
of green pixels (from the 12mp sensor) larger (ie: cover a bigger area,
with bigger dimensions) in size, the "missing" green pixels from the
rest of the 12mp image are filled out by the demosaicing algorithm.
From: nospam on
In article <4bd77fd8$0$5421$afc38c87(a)news.optusnet.com.au>, dj_nme
<dj_nme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> >> No size change need occur when you upsize an image from 3Mp to 12Mp
> >> either.
> >
> > the word upsize means a bigger size. up-size. just as downsize means
> > smaller.
>
> It is a "filling in", not "up-sizing" that occurs.
> Bayer CFA demosaicing doesn't make the (in this limited example) the 3mp
> of green pixels (from the 12mp sensor) larger (ie: cover a bigger area,
> with bigger dimensions) in size, the "missing" green pixels from the
> rest of the 12mp image are filled out by the demosaicing algorithm.

exactly.
From: Ray Fischer on
Kennedy McEwen <rkm(a)kennedym.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Ray Fischer

>>All pixels are "complete".
>
>But some pixels are more "complete" than others.

That doesn't even make sense.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net