From: Ray Fischer on
Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> David J Taylor

>> > Agreed.
>> >
>> > [Although I would prefer not use the term "interpolation" to describe the
>> > 3 x 3 matrix processing to convert the three Foveon sensed values into
>> > three RGB values. Something like "colour correction", perhaps?]
>>
>> well, it *is* interpolating the overlapping spectra to figure out the
>> incident colour is (and not all that accurately either).
>
>It's three separate spectral measurements per pixel, while a Bayer
>sensor has only one.
>
>Also, Bayer does not measure luminance at the pixel level, while a full
>colour sensor does.
>
>In any case we were talking about *spatial* interpolation, which Bayer
>does to generate the final image.

Since the final image is the same size at the sensor then your statement
cannot be true.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: nospam on
In article <MPG.2642778ae8ef886598c2bb(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's three separate spectral measurements per pixel, while a Bayer
> sensor has only one.

and bayer calculates the other two. at the end of the day, both produce
rgb, and oddly enough, bayer is more accurate.

> Also, Bayer does not measure luminance at the pixel level, while a full
> colour sensor does.

neither measures full luminance, however, both calculate it.

> In any case we were talking about *spatial* interpolation, which Bayer
> does to generate the final image.

nope. it fills in the holes.
From: Alfred Molon on
In article <280420101626373798%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...

> > It's three separate spectral measurements per pixel, while a Bayer
> > sensor has only one.
>
> and bayer calculates the other two. at the end of the day, both produce
> rgb, and oddly enough, bayer is more accurate.

Obviously Bayer is not more accurate. And how could it be, with just 1/3
of the needed information?

> > Also, Bayer does not measure luminance at the pixel level, while a full
> > colour sensor does.
>
> neither measures full luminance, however, both calculate it.

A full colour sensor measures luminance at the pixel level. Bayer does
not.

> > In any case we were talking about *spatial* interpolation, which Bayer
> > does to generate the final image.
>
> nope. it fills in the holes.

With guesses, which often are wrong.
--

Alfred Molon
In article <MPG.264340d3b9a8204498c2bc(a)news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > It's three separate spectral measurements per pixel, while a Bayer
> > > sensor has only one.
> >
> > and bayer calculates the other two. at the end of the day, both produce
> > rgb, and oddly enough, bayer is more accurate.
>
> Obviously Bayer is not more accurate. And how could it be, with just 1/3
> of the needed information?

obviously, based on what?

delta-e measurements show foveon having *less* accurate colour than
bayer. foveon also has a lot more noise than bayer, particularly at
higher isos.

> > > Also, Bayer does not measure luminance at the pixel level, while a full
> > > colour sensor does.
> >
> > neither measures full luminance, however, both calculate it.
>
> A full colour sensor measures luminance at the pixel level. Bayer does
> not.

foveon does not because it doesn't measure rgb. *both* require
processing.

maybe a mythical future sensor might do better than either foveon or
bayer, but that doesn't currently exist.

> > > In any case we were talking about *spatial* interpolation, which Bayer
> > > does to generate the final image.
> >
> > nope. it fills in the holes.
>
> With guesses, which often are wrong.

it's not guessing, it's calculated, and it's quite accurate. see above,
regarding delta-e measurements.
From: Ray Fischer on
Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> nospam says...

>> > It's three separate spectral measurements per pixel, while a Bayer
>> > sensor has only one.
>>
>> and bayer calculates the other two. at the end of the day, both produce
>> rgb, and oddly enough, bayer is more accurate.
>
>Obviously Bayer is not more accurate. And how could it be, with just 1/3
>of the needed information?

1/3 * 18,000,000 > 3/3 * 4,600,000

--
Ray Fischer