From: nospam on
In article
<cd394f93-1a29-419a-a191-daa56c3709cb(a)i9g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
Bubba <digitalrube(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do manufacturers tell you if a sensor is back-illuminated?

more than likely, since they generally want to differentiate it from
everything else

> For example, is the Canon G11 back-illuminated?

no
From: dmaster on
On Apr 29, 1:08 am, Alfred Molon <alfred_mo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <280420101626373798%nos...(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam says...
>

> > > It's three separate spectral measurements per pixel, while a Bayer
> > > sensor has only one.
>
> > and bayer calculates the other two. at the end of the day, both produce
> > rgb, and oddly enough, bayer is more accurate.
>
> Obviously Bayer is not more accurate. And how could it be, with just 1/3
> of the needed information?
>
> > > Also, Bayer does not measure luminance at the pixel level, while a full
> > > colour sensor does.
>
> > neither measures full luminance, however, both calculate it.
>
> A full colour sensor measures luminance at the pixel level. Bayer does
> not.
>
> > > In any case we were talking about *spatial* interpolation, which Bayer
> > > does to generate the final image.
>
> > nope. it fills in the holes.
>
> With guesses, which often are wrong.
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

This entire arguement is silly on several levels.

1. You reference "full colour sensors" (previously you refered to
"true samples"), but you overlook that neither Bayer sensors nor
Foveon sensors provide either. Neither is "full colour" at each
sensor; neither is even RGB at each sensor, although it appears that
you think "RGB" is "full colour" or a "true sample". RGB is an
imperfect representation of the true colour, and even if Foveon
sensors produced RGB, they wouldn't be "true colors". No sample is
"truer" than any other sample; they are samples.
2. Most of the arguements in this chain seem to be centered on whether
or not Bayer sensor results are interolated, as if that is somehow
good or bad. It is neither; it is an approach. Both Bayer and Foveon
sensors are imperfect approaches to sampling the actual scene. There
is no point in arguing whether the approaches are "good" or "bad".
The only issue is whether the results are good.

As millions or billions of examples have shown, Bayer sensors produce
good results. If you think the Foveon sensor camera produces a better
result for the money, buy it. If you think the Bayer sensor camera
produces a better result for the money, buy it. Personally, I prefer
the results from the Bayer sensor cameras for my money. If you
disagree, so what? I'm happy with my choice; be happy with yours.

Dan (Woj...)
From: dmaster on
On Apr 30, 7:32 am, Alfred Molon <alfred_mo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> But the question is, what the performance of the sensor is. It may well
> be the case that the lens sucks and the AA filter additionally
> contributes to blur everything, but this is a separate issue.
>
> The key question is, can the sensor resolve pixel-level changes of
> colour. A Bayer sensor *cannot*, while a Foveon sensor or other full-
> colour imaging device which does not have to interpolate the data from
> adjacent pixels can.
> Alfred Molon
> ------------------------------

No it is not. The only key question is, does the sensor produce a
good picture. The mechanism or approach is completely immaterial. If
the sensor uses single color sensors, or non-RGB multi-color sensors,
or tiny pixies with tiny arc-welders does not matter in the least.
Does it make a good picture?

Dan (Woj...)

From: Alfred Molon on
In article <ce4842f8-d6d9-49c9-a815-6c26c68fce48
@k2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>, dmaster says...
> The only key question is, does the sensor produce a
> good picture.

The question is the effective resolution. And here a sensor like Bayer,
in which to reconstruct an image you need to use data from neighbouring
pixels, fails at the pixel level. Bayer simply does not have the
resolution at the pixel level, i.e. a 12MP Bayer sensor has an effective
resolution which is lower. Bayer produces good pictures, but the
effective resolution is lower than the nominal.
--

Alfred Molon
In article <add80f9f-11e6-488c-b5af-
3b959023b44c(a)k19g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, dmaster says...
> 1. You reference "full colour sensors" (previously you refered to
> "true samples"), but you overlook that neither Bayer sensors nor
> Foveon sensors provide either. Neither is "full colour" at each
> sensor; neither is even RGB at each sensor, although it appears that
> you think "RGB" is "full colour" or a "true sample". RGB is an
> imperfect representation of the true colour, and even if Foveon
> sensors produced RGB, they wouldn't be "true colors". No sample is
> "truer" than any other sample; they are samples.

The key point is that a sensor like Foveon does not rely on
interpolation from neighbouring pixels to reconstruct the image. That is
a very, very essential difference.
--

Alfred Molon
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last