From: Ray Fischer on
David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> We start with 4Mp of red and blue, we end up with 12Mp of red and blue.
>>> Irrespective of what else is used in the interpolation that is *STILL*
>>> interpolation and upsizing.
>>
>> interpolation yes. no upsizing since it's already the correct size.
>
>Each sensitive element is the same physical size as the resulting RGB
>pixel, yes. But the spacing of the pixels is not. For each of the 12M
>output pixels, there are only 3M red sensitive locations, at twice the
>physical spacing of the 12M pixels. Therefore the red information in
>between those red-sensitive pixels is obtained by spatial interpolation.

No. No pixels are being added to the image. Additional information
is being added to existing pixels. No additional pixels are being
added.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: nospam on
In article <hr610n$15j$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, David J Taylor
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> "Pixel" may have a number of meanings - there is the element in a JPEG
> file which has three components (R, G & B), and there is the region on a
> sensor which received light and turns it into an electrical signal.

they're all spatial elements of an image.

> The
> latter are sometimes called sensels, although that's not a term I tend to
> use a lot.

very few people do, but the number is the same.
From: nospam on
In article <4bd6875d$0$1616$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Ray Fischer
<rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote:

> No pixels are being added to the image. Additional information
> is being added to existing pixels. No additional pixels are being
> added.

well put.
From: David J Taylor on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
[]
> the spatial location of any given pixel is the same, it's the contents
> that is interpolated. think sparse matrix. it's not upsizing a small
> 3mp matrix into a bigger 12mp matrix.

I prefer to think of the process as spatial interpolation of missing
information, as upsizing may have a physical connotation, which could be
confusing.

Cheers,
David

From: Martin Brown on
Ray Fischer wrote:
> Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Ray Fischer wrote:

>> I suggest that you learn what a pixel means - that would help.
>
> You're too much of a stupid ashsole to be condescending.

Are you another sock puppet of the P&S troll?

>> The Bayer grid contains filtered photosensor sites. It takes the data
>>from several of these to construct any pixel in the final image.
>
> An outright lie.

You are *too* stupid for words. Clueless! I hope that my explanation is
clear to anyone who actually wants to learn about the Bayer mask.

The final image in a DSLR camera is always RGB format. There might be
one somewhere that will do luminance as monochrome but it still requires
data from multiple sensor sites to reconstruct that image.

> You're "confused" becuse you think that a pixel must have a certain
> amount of color information. In fat it need contain no color information
> at all.

>>> WRONG.
>>>
>>> It's not incomplete. There's no such thing as an "incomplete" pixel.
>>> A monochrome pixel is still a pixel.
>> IA monochrome pixel is a pixel, but only if the image can be interpretted
>
> Wrong.
>
> No "if".

You really need to go back to basics. Whoever told you what you so
fervently believe is completely out of step with imaging conventions.

>> A Bayer mask image looks pretty strange if
>
> Non sequitur. The definition of pixel has nothing to do with any
> sensor type.
>
>> By any reasonable definition
>
> You're not reasonable.
>
>> There are 12M sensor sites,
>
> Irrelevant.
>
>> In common computer imaging usage a pixel is generally taken to mean a
>> monochrome image of 8, 16 or 32 bits, or a colour pixel with either
>> palletted 8 bits, 16bits (R,G,B = 5,6,5), 24bits (8bits for each of
>> R,G,B), 48bits (16 bits each for R,G,B).
>
> LOL!
>
> Tell us: Where did you get your degree in computer science? Where
> did you get your education in computer graphics? I got mine from
> Stanford and Cal Poly and from working in the graphics business.

You are not a good advert for the quality of their teaching then.

Regards,
Martin Brown
MBCS CEng