From: Franc Zabkar on
All the sources I can find suggest that the meaning of the Run Out
Cancel SMART attribute (#203) is "Number of ECC errors".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes

This makes no sense to me. Runout is a measure of eccentricity.
Therefore I would think that run out cancel should reflect the
amplitude of the sinusoidal error signal required to be injected into
the voice coil servo loop to compensate for any eccentricity in the
track, assuming that's how it's done.

I wonder if someone originally misinterpreted ECCentricity error (?)
as ECC error, and perhaps the mistake has been propagated without
challenge???

- Franc Zabkar
From: Grant on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:29:30 +1000, Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

>All the sources I can find suggest that the meaning of the Run Out
>Cancel SMART attribute (#203) is "Number of ECC errors".
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes
>
>This makes no sense to me. Runout is a measure of eccentricity.
>Therefore I would think that run out cancel should reflect the
>amplitude of the sinusoidal error signal required to be injected into
>the voice coil servo loop to compensate for any eccentricity in the
>track, assuming that's how it's done.
>
>I wonder if someone originally misinterpreted ECCentricity error (?)
>as ECC error, and perhaps the mistake has been propagated without
>challenge???

Particularly as run out would manifest as errors?

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/
From: Arno on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 17:29:30 +1000, Franc Zabkar <fzabkar(a)iinternode.on.net> wrote:

>>All the sources I can find suggest that the meaning of the Run Out
>>Cancel SMART attribute (#203) is "Number of ECC errors".
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Known_ATA_S.M.A.R.T._attributes
>>
>>This makes no sense to me. Runout is a measure of eccentricity.
>>Therefore I would think that run out cancel should reflect the
>>amplitude of the sinusoidal error signal required to be injected into
>>the voice coil servo loop to compensate for any eccentricity in the
>>track, assuming that's how it's done.
>>
>>I wonder if someone originally misinterpreted ECCentricity error (?)
>>as ECC error, and perhaps the mistake has been propagated without
>>challenge???

> Particularly as run out would manifest as errors?

Makes sense to me.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----