From: sauro on
I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.

Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
significant differences?

Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
inside an adaptor?

Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?
From: Rod Speed on
sauro wrote:

> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot
> camera, for when my other SD cards got full when I was away
> from home. Additionally, I want a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.

> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size

Yes, but there is more than one type of them.

> or are there significant differences?

There are significant differences within just SD cards.

> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card inside an adaptor?

Yes, that can be a problem.

> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

Nope.

From: Gerald Abrahamson on
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:18:21 +0100, sauro
<invalid(a)nospaml.com> wrote:

>I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
>my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
>a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
>
>Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
>significant differences?
>
>Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
>inside an adaptor?
>
>Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

Micro SD is smaller--but you can buy an adaptor that will
hold a Micro SD and fit into a standard SD slot (thus
allowing you to use the Micro SD in both types of devices).
Check eBay for prices for USB Micro SD or similar. They are
getting very low in price (under $10 for 4gb).
From: Yousuf Khan on
sauro wrote:
> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
> my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
> a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
>
> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
> significant differences?
>
> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
> inside an adaptor?
>
> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

Micro SD cards are a bit more expensive during a price/megabytes
comparison. Otherwise, Micro SD's usually come with a Micro SD to SD
adaptor card that lets you use them as SD cards also. So as such, I'd
say just buy the Micro SD's and use them as SD's when needed.

Yousuf Khan
From: Juarez on
On 09/04/2010 8:28 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Micro SD cards are a bit more expensive during a price/megabytes
> comparison. Otherwise, Micro SD's usually come with a Micro SD to SD
> adaptor card that lets you use them as SD cards also. So as such, I'd
> say just buy the Micro SD's and use them as SD's when needed.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Last time I checked prices at a retail store MicroSD was actually a bit
cheaper than SD. Supply and demand, more people buy standard SD than
Micro SD by far.