From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:32:13PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> > > And why would Yahoo be doing a CNAME lookup?
> >
> > Their MTA does that for all destinations, among other lookups.
> >
> > Your DNS server is a bit odd:
> >
> > $ dig +trace -t any slsware.com
> >
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> >
> > While asking for "cname" or "mx" works... Perhaps their code does a
> > "T_ANY" lookup.
>
> If I recall correctly, Yahoo runs a modified qmail, and indeed:
>
> switch(resolve(sa,T_ANY))

So that's the issue then, the DNS server in question does not support
T_ANY. Most likely it is behind a firewall that does not understand T_ANY,
and drops the DNS packets for security reasons. Otherwise, the DNS server
itself is deficient.

--
Viktor.

From: Wietse Venema on
Victor Duchovni:

> > > Their MTA does that for all destinations, among other lookups.
> > >
> > > Your DNS server is a bit odd:
> > >
> > > $ dig +trace -t any slsware.com
> > >
> > > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> > >
> > > While asking for "cname" or "mx" works... Perhaps their code does a
> > > "T_ANY" lookup.
> >
> > If I recall correctly, Yahoo runs a modified qmail, and indeed:
> >
> > switch(resolve(sa,T_ANY))
>
> So that's the issue then, the DNS server in question does not support
> T_ANY. Most likely it is behind a firewall that does not understand T_ANY,
> and drops the DNS packets for security reasons. Otherwise, the DNS server
> itself is deficient.

Just to clarify, this DNS server is likely to create the same
problem with other sites that run a version of the qmail MTA.

According to the qmail CHANGES file entry 19961003, it uses T_ANY
as a workaround for DNS servers that broke with T_CNAME. Of course,
using T_ANY introduces other failure modes (reply too big, or broken
infrastructure).

Wietse

From: brian moore on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:27:29 -0400 (EDT)
Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:

> Just to clarify, this DNS server is likely to create the same
> problem with other sites that run a version of the qmail MTA.

That sounds like a feature to me.

From: Glenn English on

On Mar 19, 2010, at 2:26 PM, brian moore wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:27:29 -0400 (EDT)
> Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify, this DNS server is likely to create the same
>> problem with other sites that run a version of the qmail MTA.
>
> That sounds like a feature to me.

Soon as I get it figured out, I'll let you know how to implement it.

--
Glenn English
ghe(a)slsware.com

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 01:26:03PM -0700, brian moore wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:27:29 -0400 (EDT)
> Wietse Venema <wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify, this DNS server is likely to create the same
> > problem with other sites that run a version of the qmail MTA.
>
> That sounds like a feature to me.

Perhaps, I am misreading the above as a mildly derogatory remark about
qmail... If not, then:

We don't make a habit of denigrating other MTAs here. We don't need
to attack other MTAs to make Postfix look better. Postfix does well
enough on its own merit.

--
Viktor.

First  |  Prev  |