From: Kevin the Drummer on
Quite a while ago I made a post about my trouble with formatting
a MacAlly external USB drive containing a Western Digital SATA
disk. I also was having trouble keeping access going to that
unit, and I returned the enclosure.

Someone on a web forum suggested that I try NexStar enclosures
instead. I did that, and it seemed to work with drives I'd
already formatted. In the last couple of days I've formatted
a couple partitions each via the eSATA and USB ports on my new
Vantec NexStar 300SU enclosure. I gotta say it works very well.

I'm happy now.