From: dude on
I can't seem to get the sound to work on a new system that I have set up
using the P5RD1-VM mobo.

This is the message I get
"The audio file drivers don not support your computer hardware" yet this is
the driver software that came with the motherboard install disk.

Everything else seems to be fine. Any suggestions.

From: Friedrich Wuelfing on
> Everything else seems to be fine. Any suggestions.

Uninstall, then try latest driver from here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5RD1-VM

V5.10.01.4150B
SoundMAX AD1986A Audio Driver
V5.10.01.4150B for Windows 2000/XP/2003
10.13 (MBytes)

From: dude on
I get the same error message when I used this file too.

From: Paul on
In article <zwJog.107136$IK3.5303(a)pd7tw1no>, "dude" <topgun1(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

> I get the same error message when I used this file too.
>

> "Friedrich Wuelfing" <Vorname.Nachnahme(a)t-online.de> wrote in message
> > > Everything else seems to be fine. Any suggestions.
> >
> > Uninstall, then try latest driver from here:
> >
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5RD1-V
> >
> > V5.10.01.4150B
> > SoundMAX AD1986A Audio Driver
> > V5.10.01.4150B for Windows 2000/XP/2003
> > 10.13 (MBytes)

On the older AC'97 sound solutions, a driver had to be
designed for a particular Southbridge AC'97 logic block,
and for the codec used on the motherboard. So, you might
have seen an Intel/Via driver for AD1985, in which case
it would not work with an SIS chipset. The .INF file in
the install folder SMAXWDM, would indicate by naming convention,
what Southbridges were supported. You could also look
inside the .INF file for the PCI VEN/DEV/SUBSYS identifier,
and there would be more than one entry in the file,
which means the driver works with some number of motherboards.

When I look in this particular driver, it is different.
Azalia HDAudio is different than AC'97, in that there
is a Microsoft UAA (universal audio architecture) layer
and driver that must be installed. I suspect the UAA
takes care of the chipset, as long as the chipset uses
the standard registers and interface expected of HDaudio.
For example, DMA channels would need to have a standard
format, in order that the Microsoft drive work with all
the different Southbridge chips capable of HDaudio.

If I look in the above driver package, the "ADIHdAud.inf"
file still contains identifying information. For example,
in this string "11D4" = analog_devices (maker of the HDaudio
codec chip), "1986" stands for AD1986, 1043 is the identifier
for Asus, but the last four digits identify the motherboard,
and I don't know exactly how an end-user is supposed to figure
out what four digits correspond to their motherboard.

VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS_10431153

One thing you can try, is get a copy of Everest Home Edition

and look in PCI Devices. There is a SUBSYS field listed
for each hardware device, and compare the value there, to
what is in the .inf file. If the SUBSYS value of the sound
chip does not match anything in the .inf, then that would
be a reason for the install to fail.

Another possibility, is you don't have the HDaudio turned
on. I see "Azalia Link A" [Enabled] listed in the manual,
and perhaps you have it Disabled ?

Other than that, I suppose a completely busted piece of
hardware could do it. But that doesn't seem likely.

Paul