From: Mark Adams on

"Linus" wrote:

> I recently downloaded SP 3 in the form of something called a "ISO Disk."
> Seemed like a good way to preserve the updates it in case of a crash, but my
> free Frog will not unzip the folder.
>
> I don't know any thing about ISO disks but hate to buy WinRar just for this
> file. If any one knows of free ware that will work with ISO disks, please let
> me know --
>
> Linusverl

Use the "Burn image to disk" feature of the free versions of Nero that
frequently come with CD/DVD burners. Lacking that, download ISO Recorder.
From: Kenny on
Although an ISO is a CD or DVD image 7-Zip will extract it and it's free.
http://www.7-zip.org/

Kenny

From: John Doue on
On 6/16/2010 12:36 PM, Peter wrote:
> Linus wrote:
>> I recently downloaded SP 3 in the form of something called a "ISO Disk."
>> Seemed like a good way to preserve the updates it in case of a crash,
>> but my
>> free Frog will not unzip the folder.
>>
>> I don't know any thing about ISO disks but hate to buy WinRar just for
>> this
>> file. If any one knows of free ware that will work with ISO disks,
>> please let
>> me know --
>>
>> Linusverl
>
> It's not something you open or unzip. You burn it to a CD.

Sorry, but a CD is just a compilation of files. You can access them
individually with any ISO Image program like Magiciso and others.
Provided you have enough space on your HD, you can expand on ISO image
to it. Much more convenient than burning a CD each time you come across
an ISO image.

--
John Doue
From: Peter on
John Doue wrote:
> On 6/16/2010 12:36 PM, Peter wrote:
>> Linus wrote:
>>> I recently downloaded SP 3 in the form of something called a "ISO Disk."
>>> Seemed like a good way to preserve the updates it in case of a crash,
>>> but my
>>> free Frog will not unzip the folder.
>>>
>>> I don't know any thing about ISO disks but hate to buy WinRar just for
>>> this
>>> file. If any one knows of free ware that will work with ISO disks,
>>> please let
>>> me know --
>>>
>>> Linusverl
>>
>> It's not something you open or unzip. You burn it to a CD.
>>
> Sorry, but a CD is just a compilation of files.

Not relevant.

> You can access them
> individually with any ISO Image program like Magiciso and others.

Not relevant.

> Provided you have enough space on your HD, you can expand on ISO image
> to it. Much more convenient than burning a CD each time you come across
> an ISO image.

Sorry, but an SP3 ISO image is to be burned onto a CD and then
installed. I don't think the OP was curious as to what's in it. In
fact, I would wager the OP knows that what's in it are updates for XP.

--
Peter
From: Daave on
Peter wrote:
> John Doue wrote:

>>> It's not something you open or unzip. You burn it to a CD.
>>>
>> Sorry, but a CD is just a compilation of files.
>
> Not relevant.
>
>> You can access them
>> individually with any ISO Image program like Magiciso and others.
>
> Not relevant.
>
>> Provided you have enough space on your HD, you can expand on ISO
>> image to it. Much more convenient than burning a CD each time you
>> come across an ISO image.
>>

> Sorry, but an SP3 ISO image is to be burned onto a CD and then
> installed.

It is *intended* to be burned onto a CD or DVD. But there *are* other
ways to use it, too.

> I don't think the OP was curious as to what's in it. In
> fact, I would wager the OP knows that what's in it are updates for XP.

Although one can certainly use a mounting program to "see and access
what's inside an .iso file," I agree with the spirit of your post that
in this particular case, the OP is best advised to create a CD from the
SP3 .iso file; that's what it's for!