Prev: error
Next: Missing files
From: MN on
I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and have
been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I installed
SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)

My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If I
do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?

Please advise.

From: Jerry on
SP3 will overwrite all updates froim before SP3. Any updates
applicable to SP3 will need to be applied. If you do not install SP3,
you will get no more updates after sometime in July so then your
computer will be at risk.

From: MN on
Jerry,
Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install SP3, going
to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling several hundred updates
that I originally installed after April 2008 (the date of the SP3 release).
Is that correct?

From: Shenan Stanley on
MN wrote:
> Jerry,
> Thanx for your prompt response. I guess that after I install
> SP3, going to the Windows Update site, I will be reinstalling
> several hundred updates that I originally installed after April
> 2008 (the date of the SP3 release). Is that correct?

no

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from
Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows Update
website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually installed.
Extended Support for WinXP SP3 will continue through 08 April 2014.

� What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean

MN wrote:
> I have been running WinXP on my computer for quite a few years now and
> have
> been doing automatic updates on a regular basis. In fact, after I
> installed
> SP2, several years ago, I have over 200 such updates. (I printed out the
> list that is an option on the Windows Update site.)
>
> My question: Should I install SP3 now ? (from the SP3 installer .exe) If
> do, won't there be a conflict with some of my already installed auto
> updates? What benefits will I get if I DO install SP3 now?
>
> Please advise.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: error