From: Ben Stevenson on
I have XP Pro and IE7.

I am told that MS no longer supports XP but support is still available if it
is on SP3. Is there anything I have to be aware of if I download SP3 on to
XP? Will things be different?

And how do I get SP3 on to my laptop?

TIA

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 or higher per incident now.

Note: Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date, computers
running WinXP SP2 "will no longer receive software updates from Windows
Update" until SP3 is installed.

. What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: dario on
I will read your links and try to install.
But I have another problem on my Vista where I am replying from. I had
posted also from this Vista PC in WLM, but the post and your reply does not
appear in WLM so I have to go to google groups to do it. Tedious.

Can you help for me to see my posts and replies in WLM?

TIA

--
dario

From: Daave on
What was the name of the newsgroup? Microsoft has been phasing out
newsgroups. The windowsxp.general group is one of the few surviving
groups! Some people are still posting to the phased out groups, using
other news servers (like Eternal September). But if you are using both
WLM and the MS news server and if the group has been phased out, you
won't be able to do read or post.

From: Ed from AZ on
On Jul 7, 6:22 am, dario <da...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I will read your links and try to install.

I installed SP3 from PA Bear's instructions and all went well.
With the installation, that is.
Be aware that SP3 may change your computer experience.
That is, some things may not function in SP3 like they did in SP2.
I've noticed it most in my video driver, and now my DVD playback
programs.
Your mileage may vary.
(I'd still be running 98SE if I could!)

Ed