From: allanc on
I am not totally familiar with the proper terminology and I really
appreciate help with the following problem:

My two databases, originally from a third party, have over 250 stored
procedures each.
I have changed about 150 of them in one database.

Due to the testing and implementation requirements of the application,
I need to save these stored procedures from the one database, restore
the two databases according to what I received from the third party,
and then implement my stored procedure changes onto the two restored
databases.

Any suggestions as to easiest and most foolproof method of performing
these steps are appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
allanc (allan.for.g.groups(a)gmail.com) writes:
> I am not totally familiar with the proper terminology and I really
> appreciate help with the following problem:
>
> My two databases, originally from a third party, have over 250 stored
> procedures each.
> I have changed about 150 of them in one database.
>
> Due to the testing and implementation requirements of the application,
> I need to save these stored procedures from the one database, restore
> the two databases according to what I received from the third party,
> and then implement my stored procedure changes onto the two restored
> databases.
>
> Any suggestions as to easiest and most foolproof method of performing
> these steps are appreciated.

Well, you should have extracted the code and put it under version control.

But in your current situation, SQL Compare from Red Gate is likely to be
a worthwhile investment.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Jay on
> But in your current situation, SQL Compare from Red Gate is likely to be
> a worthwhile investment.

Nob Hill has a decent product as well.

From: allanc on
On Feb 16, 7:52 pm, Erland Sommarskog <esq...(a)sommarskog.se> wrote:
> allanc (allan.for.g.gro...(a)gmail.com) writes:
> > I am not totally familiar with the proper terminology and I really
> > appreciate help with the following problem:
>
> > My two databases, originally from a third party, have over 250 stored
> > procedures each.
> > I have changed about 150 of them in one database.
>
> > Due to the testing and implementation requirements of the application,
> > I need to save these stored procedures from the one database, restore
> > the two databases according to what I received from the third party,
> > and then implement my stored procedure changes onto the two restored
> > databases.
>
> > Any suggestions as to easiest and most foolproof method of performing
> > these steps are appreciated.
>
> Well, you should have extracted the code and put it under version control..
>
> But in your current situation, SQL Compare from Red Gate is likely to be
> a worthwhile investment.
>
> --
> Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esq...(a)sommarskog.se
>
> Links for SQL Server Books Online:
> SQL 2008:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc514207.aspx
> SQL 2005:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/bb895970.aspx
> SQL 2000:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/books.mspx

Well, I *do* know which I changed.
Is there any way to automate any process with that information?
From: Erland Sommarskog on
allanc (allan.for.g.groups(a)gmail.com) writes:
> Well, I *do* know which I changed.
> Is there any way to automate any process with that information?

Yes, SQL Compare is a great tool for this.

Links for SQL Server Books Online: