From: TommyTheBurgerBoy on
Hi,

My SQL Server 2005 won't start - can anyone provide some help? This
seems to be the most significant error:
- TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x5, status code 0x51.

There was some info here, but the reg key described looks okay:
- http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/

I am running SQL Server 2005 64-bit Standard Edition. The server in
question is the first node of an Active/Active Cluster. This first
started happening while I was trying to add a share as a clustered
resource of the other node (not to this node's resources).

I have not yet reinstalled SQL Server 2005 because I am hoping for more
explanation of the problem and a possible fix.

Thanks,

Tom

From: Erland Sommarskog on
TommyTheBurgerBoy (iwantfreehamburgers(a)gmail.com) writes:
> My SQL Server 2005 won't start - can anyone provide some help? This
> seems to be the most significant error:
> - TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x5, status code 0x51.
>
> There was some info here, but the reg key described looks okay:
> - http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/
>
> I am running SQL Server 2005 64-bit Standard Edition. The server in
> question is the first node of an Active/Active Cluster. This first
> started happening while I was trying to add a share as a clustered
> resource of the other node (not to this node's resources).
>
> I have not yet reinstalled SQL Server 2005 because I am hoping for more
> explanation of the problem and a possible fix.

From the blog post, it looks like restarting the machine (which in
your case might be the entire cluster) is worth trying.

Could you post your entire error log?

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at