From: rodrado on
I recently began getting this error when SQL Server 2000 starts up. I
tried all the suggestions I could find (e.g., Q293107) but none worked.
I did finally figure this out and wanted to share the solution.

It turns out my winsock2 had been corrupted (by Juniper VPN software, I
believe), resulting in SQL Server attempting to bind twice to the same
socket. From the command line (on my windows XP SP2 machine), I ran
the following:

netsh winsock reset

This fixed the problem! See this article on Microsoft for more info:
Q811259. Hope this saves other people time.

Regards,
Rod