From: Vincent on
Is it possible to create a link server in SQL Server without using the
default system.mdw file? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Vincent (animedreamer(a)verizon.net) writes:
> Is it possible to create a link server in SQL Server without using the
> default system.mdw file? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Eh, yes. I don't even know what the system.mdw file might be.

Adding a linked server can be as easy as:

sp_addlinkedserver THATSERVEROVERTHERE

and then you might be able to say things like:

SELECT ... FROM THATSERVEROVERTHERE.db.dbo.tbl

It is not always that simple; this requires Windows authentication to
work all the way.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at