From: shark on
hi,

does anybody know how to enable/disable xp_cmdshell in sql server
2000.

i our server this sp has been disbaled for security puropse.but i need
to use it in a job.so please can any body guide me?

thanks for the help.

-Shark.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
shark (xavier.sharon(a)gmail.com) writes:
> does anybody know how to enable/disable xp_cmdshell in sql server
> 2000.
>
> i our server this sp has been disbaled for security puropse.but i need
> to use it in a job.so please can any body guide me?

As far as I know, you cannot disable xp_cmdshell in SQL 2000, only in
SQL 2005. It's of course possible to revoke or even deny permissions on
it, and maybe you can play with the proxy user.

So to know how to enable it, we would need to know how it was "disabled".
What happens if you try to run it?

....and of course, if someone disabled it, it was for a reason. Maybe
that person would not like if you turned it on again. Or are you in
charge these days?

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at