From: gazzag on
On 18 Jan, 19:58, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 10:03:18 -0800, joel garry wrote:
> > Are you spelling _his_ name correctly?  :-)
>
> He is.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

I'm a frayed knot:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.databases.oracle.server/search?hl=en&group=comp.databases.oracle.server&q=niall+litchfield&qt_g=Search+this+group

HTH

-g
From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Jan 17, 7:34 pm, Jeremy <jeremy0...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <hithhv$d1...(a)solani.org>, gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com says...>
>

> > On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 20:24:36 +0000, Jeremy wrote:
>
> > > In article <hit6ej$ph...(a)solani.org>, gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com says...>

> > > Is that intended to be serious answer?
>
> > Yes. That is precisely what PL/SQL is intended for: you run SQL and
> > follow some logic path depending on the outcome.
>
> Perhaps I assumed I had conveyed more of my requirements to the post
> than I did.
>
> It's about conditional execution of .sql files - am looking at ways to
> automate install/upgrades which cannot be done using PL/SQL.
>
> --
> jeremy

SQL*Plus can do a lot more than most people expect. Check out how
folks at Oracle are doing it: take any recent CPU patch and inspect
catcpu.sql and you'll immediately see a way to launch .sql scripts
conditionally; or take a look at @?/rdbms/admin/catbundle.sql for more
complex example of conditional script *generation* and execution. The
technique itself is not new: you combine PL/SQL for evaluating
conditions and choosing scripts to run, bind variables to convey
arguments and hold results, and SQL*Plus user variables to actually
launch chosen scripts, possibly with chosen arguments. These patch
application scripts are an excellent example of the technique you can
build on.

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev
N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
http://www.dynamicpsp.com
From: Jeremy on
In article <0b6c2d7b-eba1-4923-8127-
dd5b7dde582d(a)p24g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
vladimir.zakharychev(a)gmail.com says...>

> > It's about conditional execution of .sql files - am looking at ways to
> > automate install/upgrades which cannot be done using PL/SQL.
> >

> SQL*Plus can do a lot more than most people expect. Check out how
> folks at Oracle are doing it: take any recent CPU patch and inspect
> catcpu.sql and you'll immediately see a way to launch .sql scripts
> conditionally; or take a look at @?/rdbms/admin/catbundle.sql for more
> complex example of conditional script *generation* and execution. The
> technique itself is not new: you combine PL/SQL for evaluating
> conditions and choosing scripts to run, bind variables to convey
> arguments and hold results, and SQL*Plus user variables to actually
> launch chosen scripts, possibly with chosen arguments. These patch
> application scripts are an excellent example of the technique you can
> build on.

Many thanks, the best and most relevant response to this thread. Though
to be fair, I'm glad we all know how to spell each other's names now.

--
jeremy

From: hpuxrac on
On Jan 16, 6:15 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> > Everyone knows you know a bit about it (Oracle).  You know near to
> > nothing about ksh.
>
> OK. You write me a script doing something related to Oracle in ksh and I
> will write the same script in Perl. Let's compare the execution times and
> the memory footprint. Also, as a minimum security measure, let's pack the
> passwords in hexadecimal form, so that they're not visible from the
> scripts at first glance. This is what I have in mind:

Like almost always when you get a bee in your bonnet you start going
overboard.

Lots of us can do almost anything in ksh ... would it be nice if we
had the time and inclination to do more in perl?

Going down the path of proclaiming one scripting environment is better
than another is a pretty good way to waste a lot of time but
boring ... very very boring.
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 21:25:19 +0000, Jeremy wrote:

> Many thanks, the best and most relevant response to this thread. Though
> to be fair, I'm glad we all know how to spell each other's names now.

Jerome, this was a very shrewd remark!

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com