From: Carlie Coats on
Carlie Coats wrote:

> I'll shortly be getting a new office machine with a SSD for usr and
> home (with a big data RAID). The SSD's onboard ontroller will be
> Samsung.
>
> What recommendations do you have for filesystem: XFS? EXT3? 4? JFS?
> Why? (I'm not succeeding in googling comparative benchmarks...)

Thanks to everyone who replied -- the Phoronix benchmarks listed
by Musaul Karim were quite interesting. I think I'll go with XFS.
To answer other questions: it will be quite a "heavy" machine--
dual-socket Nehalems, 24GB RAM, used for a combination of

* development (environmental modeling -- large Fortran codes),

* GRASS GIS (which uses lots of out-of-core (disk sensitive!)
algorithms to deal with the size of problems I have), and

* the modeling itself (a typical run may be 100 CPU-hours,
generating 70+GB of output).

-- Carlie
From: Cat22 on
Carlie Coats wrote:
> Carlie Coats wrote:
>>
>> I'll shortly be getting a new office machine with a SSD for usr and
>> home (with a big data RAID). The SSD's onboard ontroller will be
>> Samsung.
>>
>> What recommendations do you have for filesystem: XFS? EXT3? 4? JFS?
>> Why? (I'm not succeeding in googling comparative benchmarks...)
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied -- the Phoronix benchmarks listed
> by Musaul Karim were quite interesting. I think I'll go with XFS.
> To answer other questions: it will be quite a "heavy" machine--
> dual-socket Nehalems, 24GB RAM, used for a combination of
>
> * development (environmental modeling -- large Fortran codes),
>
> * GRASS GIS (which uses lots of out-of-core (disk sensitive!)
> algorithms to deal with the size of problems I have), and
>
> * the modeling itself (a typical run may be 100 CPU-hours,
> generating 70+GB of output).
>
> -- Carlie
A dual socket NHM? I'm drooling! what cpu are you going to use?
What ram speed? Is this an Intel board?
Thanks
Cat22
From: Carlie Coats on
Cat22 wrote:
[snip...]
> A dual socket NHM? I'm drooling! what cpu are you going to use?
> What ram speed? Is this an Intel board?
> Thanks

Dell T7500 (the boss likes Dell), 2x5580, 6x4GB 1333MHz DDR3,
4xSeagate 7200.11 1.5TB, RAID0 for data, hoping for 250 GB
Corsair SSD for system/home/work-data.

I do land-surface modeling, with typical 5000x8000x8 grid
resolution; one run can easily generate 70GB of output
(and take 200+ CPU-hours on my current quad-Opteron)...

-- Carlie

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: can not access GMail chat