From: Carlie Coats on

I'll shortly be getting a new office machine with a SSD for usr and
home (with a big data RAID). The SSD's onboard ontroller will be
Samsung.

What recommendations do you have for filesystem: XFS? EXT3? 4? JFS?
Why? (I'm not succeeding in googling comparative benchmarks...)

-- Carlie Coats

From: Cat22 on
Carlie Coats wrote:

> I'll shortly be getting a new office machine with a SSD for usr and
> home (with a big data RAID). The SSD's onboard ontroller will be
> Samsung.
>
> What recommendations do you have for filesystem: XFS? EXT3? 4? JFS?
> Why? (I'm not succeeding in googling comparative benchmarks...)
>
> -- Carlie Coats

I dont know your partitioning scheme but i would also have /boot on the SSD.
/boot only needs to be 100 meg or so, you'll never get above that unless you
are a kernel hound.
How much ram do you have? If you are an ordinary user, eg web, email, watch
some video, couple of games - and you have 4 gig or so i'd forgo the swap -
you can always add a swapfile later - I havnt had a swap partition in ages.
And even doing kernel compiles i dont see a lot of awp usage - I got it up to
100 meg or so once but i was really messing with it, running everything i could
at one time. I dont run a swap at all on my i7 system(6 Gig ram), it runs
8 copies of set(a)home 24-7 + 1 cuda app, does kernel compiles, various other
tasks, never has a problem. Not that swap is going to hurt an SSD -
it wont - its just a waste of space.
Anyway ---
For a FS I would use ext3, i tried ext4 awhile back on a regular HD and when
I ran into a problem the tools to fix it were not available on the rescue DVD.
That aside - i too am running an SSD - i use a std ext3 and just treated it
like an ordinary HDD, it is fast and works fine. You can get into things
like aligning the partitions and using various io schedulers but I didnt
bother with those, i want to see how this works out in the long run -
will i have a short SSD life? reduced performance after awhile? Well,
I'll find out. One thing i would recommend tho, is before you start
installing or using the drive, do a secure erase to completely Zero it out.
Here's how: (I assume the SSD is /dev/sdb)
Boot to runlevel 3 (or 1) from another disk (sda) with the SSD as the 2nd
drive (SDB).
log in as root.
run this:
NOTE:
This permanently erases all data on the drive, no recovery is possible at all - EVER
Be 110% sure you have the right drive and you want to erase it!

hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass admin /dev/sdb
hdparm --user-master u --security-erase admin /dev/sdb

after about 1 or 2 minutes the prompt will re-appear
thats it! shutdown (run halt cmd) and remove sda (I always install with only
the target drive hooked up - prevents stupid mistakes)
[In that light, you might be able to do the secure erase from an install DVD, not
sure if hdparm is in there or not, but that would let you do the procedure
with just the SSD hooked up.]
power back up and install 2010 on your SSD

One thing i want to mention - no matter how fast the disk system is,
there is a point of diminishing returns. I'm real happy with my SSD's
performance, its fast enough to "keep up". The system is snappy and
a pleasure to use, if i doubled the disk throughput now, i doubt i
would see any difference in the feel of things. More cores, faster
memory/cpu, more cpu -> memory bandwidth - that would help, but i think
the real bottleneck right now is software - the industry needs to
work on the algorithms and increase parallelism where possible, we spend
a lot of "wait time" because of dumb algorithms or poor approaches to the
particular task.

Cat22
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 12:09:30 -0500, Cat22 <cat22(a)invalid.org> wrote:

> For a FS I would use ext3, i tried ext4 awhile back on a regular HD and when
> I ran into a problem the tools to fix it were not available on the rescue DVD.

For the Mandriva install dvd, get to a command line (as root) and
run "modprobe ext4".

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Musaul Karim on
If you're worried about picking a file system for best wear levelling,
then I think most file systems should be fine as the controller
abstracts the write operations to the actual flash memory.

If you're wondering about the speed, then most perform pretty well.
Here's a benchmark where they're all neck and neck except a few cases
where XFS comes top by a small margin, and a smaller number of cases
where EXT4 pulls ahead by a bit...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_x25e_filesystems

From: J G Miller on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:33:34 -0800, Musaul Karim wrote:

> Here's a benchmark where they're all neck and neck except a few cases
> where XFS comes top by a small margin, and a smaller number of cases
> where EXT4 pulls ahead by a bit...

It is interesting to note that it has taken so long for the ext file
system development to finally match the speeds of the long established
XFS file system.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: can not access GMail chat