From: Rod Speed on
Mike Tomlinson <mike(a)jasper.org.uk> wrote
> Andrew Aronoff <NOSPAM_WRONG.ADDRESS(a)yahoo.com> writes

>> Yes, I know a full boot can't be performed, but one can
>> usually get to the boot logo or even the Welcome Screen.

> Not if the IDE controller driver is the wrong one, you can't.

> You're getting the STOP 0x7B error because the drive has been
> moved to a system with a different IDE controller chip or chipset.

Not with the clean install on the test machine.

> If you are able to return the drive to the original system and boot it,
> then use Device Mangler to change the IDE controllers to the generic
> Microsoft ones, the drive will then boot okay on the other computer.

Thats effectively what he did with the clean install on the test machine in its own partition.

From: Andrew Aronoff on
>>> Yes, I know a full boot can't be performed, but one can
>>> usually get to the boot logo or even the Welcome Screen.
>
>> Not if the IDE controller driver is the wrong one, you can't.
>
>> You're getting the STOP 0x7B error because the drive has been
>> moved to a system with a different IDE controller chip or chipset.
>
>Not with the clean install on the test machine.

As it turns out, the STOP 0x7B error *is* likely due to a change in
hardware, since the clean install on the test machine *did* succeed
after I corrected a configuration error on that machine.

FWIW, I added the natively supported IDE controllers to the registry
of the problem install by using the registry data in MSKB 822052. I
made sure the keys were present and the files intelide.sys,
pciide.sys, and pciidex.sys were present in the system32\drivers
directory. That did not remove the STOP 0x7B error.

>> If you are able to return the drive to the original system and boot it,
>> then use Device Mangler to change the IDE controllers to the generic
>> Microsoft ones, the drive will then boot okay on the other computer.
>
>Thats effectively what he did with the clean install on the test machine in its own partition.

I wasn't able to boot on the original system, which was why I was
trying to boot on the test bed PC.

Again, the clean install on the test machine _did_ work.

As I stated in a previous message, I believe the problem is hardware,
not software, on the original PC and the hard disk is not to blame.

Thanks for your comments.

regards, Andy
--
**********

Please send e-mail to: usenet (dot) post (at) aaronoff (dot) com

To identify everything that starts up with Windows, download
"Silent Runners.vbs" at www.silentrunners.org

**********
From: Rod Speed on
Andrew Aronoff <NOSPAM_WRONG.ADDRESS(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Not if the IDE controller driver is the wrong one, you can't.

>>> You're getting the STOP 0x7B error because the drive has been
>>> moved to a system with a different IDE controller chip or chipset.

>> Not with the clean install on the test machine.

> As it turns out, the STOP 0x7B error *is* likely due to a change in
> hardware, since the clean install on the test machine *did* succeed
> after I corrected a configuration error on that machine.

In fact you didnt actually have a clean install on the test machine.

> FWIW, I added the natively supported IDE controllers to the registry
> of the problem install by using the registry data in MSKB 822052. I
> made sure the keys were present and the files intelide.sys,
> pciide.sys, and pciidex.sys were present in the system32\drivers
> directory. That did not remove the STOP 0x7B error.

>>> If you are able to return the drive to the original system and boot it, then
>>> use Device Mangler to change the IDE controllers to the generic Microsoft
>>> ones, the drive will then boot okay on the other computer.

>> Thats effectively what he did with the clean install on the test
>> machine in its own partition.

> I wasn't able to boot on the original system, which
> was why I was trying to boot on the test bed PC.

> Again, the clean install on the test machine _did_ work.

Yes, you didnt actually have a clean install when you claimed you did.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <ldp6t2dq9845mjuns3nlqduv00qb1jp6g1(a)4ax.com>, Andrew Aronoff
<NOSPAM_WRONG.ADDRESS(a)yahoo.com> writes

>FWIW, I added the natively supported IDE controllers to the registry
>of the problem install by using the registry data in MSKB 822052. I
>made sure the keys were present and the files intelide.sys,
>pciide.sys, and pciidex.sys were present in the system32\drivers
>directory. That did not remove the STOP 0x7B error.

Did you follow the instructions under "A "Stop 0x0000007B" error message
occurs after you move the system disk to another computer" in KB822502?
You need the "Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller" configured using
atapi.sys. Patching the registry as described should work.

You could also boot the disk in a third machine with the same IDE
controller as the original, failed one, and use that to run Device
Manager and reset the hard disk controllers to "Standard IDE/ESDI Hard
Disk Controller". The disk will then boot in the machine you want to
use it in.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your