From: Westhall1 on
hi guys,

firstly, i'd like to say that i know very, very little about the workings of
computers. I recently got the swp2009 virus, which shows itself as being a
fake anti-virus program. i tried to look over the internet for removal
options but didn't really understand any of it, so decided to just restore my
laptop to factory settings.

so basically, i was wondering

does anyone know what the virus actually does.? (i.e. does it now have my
details etc?). i can't find this info anywhere, and im a bit paranoid now
that it;s maybe hacked in to my accounts by now and even though it's not on
my computer, it's got my information? (like bank details etc).

thanks for any help - and appologies for being a 'noob'.

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Westhall1" <Westhall1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi guys,
>
> firstly, i'd like to say that i know very, very little about the
> workings of
> computers. I recently got the swp2009 virus, which shows itself as
> being a
> fake anti-virus program. i tried to look over the internet for
> removal
> options but didn't really understand any of it, so decided to just
> restore my
> laptop to factory settings.
>
> so basically, i was wondering
>
> does anyone know what the virus actually does.? (i.e. does it now have
> my
> details etc?). i can't find this info anywhere, and im a bit paranoid
> now
> that it;s maybe hacked in to my accounts by now and even though it's
> not on
> my computer, it's got my information? (like bank details etc).
>
> thanks for any help - and appologies for being a 'noob'.

There's a pretty good description (except for the blatant disregard of
the fact that it *isn't* a virus) of what it is or does here:

http://remove-malware.net/how-to-remove-swp2009-swp-2009-demo-malware/

From: John on

"Westhall1" <Westhall1(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i tried to look over the internet for removal
> options but didn't really understand any of it, so decided to just restore
> my
> laptop to factory settings.

Forget about trying to remove malware infection. Factory restore or
format/reinstall is the only way to be 100% sure your computer no longer has
the infection.

> im a bit paranoid now
> that it;s maybe hacked in to my accounts by now and even though it's not
> on
> my computer, it's got my information? (like bank details etc).

If you're worried about it so much, why don't you change all of your (email,
home banking etc) passwords as soon as you can before the bad guys change
them for you?

From: techyy99 on
As far as I know swp2009 is just a scareware. It doesn't steal
passwords and etc. Just scan your PC with at least two anti-malware
applications, let's say MalwareBytes and SUPERAntispyware to make sure
that your PC is trully clean now.