From: polishedball on
Well my search for an SX-64 brought me to a broken one, I was
thinking no problem plenty of repair guides and I was a bench tech for
10 years until board swaps became the norm. I haven't dug in far yet
but was surprised that the suggested chip swaps did nothing. I am
suspecting a logic chip and am curious if anyone has any guesses as
this unit isn't friendly to work on in it design while hot. Gonna
download the schematics now.

1) Have garbage screen with border (maybe the check-board i have read
about)
2) Cartridge slot doesn't appear to work.
3) Swapped Vic Chip with known good Same problem
4) Swapped PLA with known Good Same problem
5) Swapped character rom Same problem

Screen pics

http://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/screen.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/screen1.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts

John

From: polishedball on
On Feb 16, 1:44 pm, polishedball <polishedb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Well my search for an SX-64 brought me to a broken one,  I was
> thinking no problem plenty of repair guides and I was a bench tech for
> 10 years until board swaps became the norm.  I haven't dug in far yet
> but was surprised that the suggested chip swaps did nothing.  I am
> suspecting a logic chip and am curious if anyone has any guesses as
> this unit isn't friendly to work on in it design while hot. Gonna
> download the schematics now.
>
> 1) Have garbage screen with border (maybe the check-board i have read
> about)
> 2) Cartridge slot doesn't appear to work.
> 3) Swapped Vic Chip with known good  Same problem
> 4) Swapped PLA with known Good Same problem
> 5) Swapped character rom Same problem
>
> Screen pics
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/screen.jpghttp://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/screen1.jpg
>
> Thanks for any thoughts
>
> John

Also it presents the same screen using an external monitor.

From: Sam on
Hello John,

I've seen your screen pics and I think one of the 4164 RAM chips (UA4
thru UA7 & UB4 thru UB7) is bad.

Ray Carlsen wrote:
"See if any of the RAM chips (there are eight of them) get warm or
hot... feel each one with the back of your finger after the computer
has run for about 5 minutes. Shorted chips will get hotter than the
others. Note: bad RAM doesn't always get hot."

If you feel no difference you can try the "piggyback" trick.

Good luck !

Regards, SAM
From: polishedball on
On Feb 16, 2:46 pm, Sam <siemappel...(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> I've seen your screen pics and I think one of the 4164 RAM chips (UA4
> thru UA7 & UB4 thru UB7) is bad.
>
> Ray Carlsen wrote:
>
> "See if any of the RAM chips (there are eight of them) get warm or
> hot... feel each one with the back of your finger after the computer
> has run for about 5 minutes. Shorted chips will get hotter than the
> others. Note: bad RAM doesn't always get hot."
>
> If you feel no difference you can try the "piggyback" trick.
>
> Good luck !
>
> Regards, SAM

Thanks will socket them and do some swapping from a working donor C64.

John

From: polishedball on
I just swapped all the Ram out all 8 from a known good machine and
still have the same garbled screen. Ideas?

Thanks

On Feb 16, 2:54 pm, polishedball <polishedb...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2:46 pm, Sam <siemappel...(a)quicknet.nl> wrote:
>

> > Hello John,
>
> > I've seen your screen pics and I think one of the 4164 RAM chips (UA4
> > thru UA7 & UB4 thru UB7) is bad.
>
> > Ray Carlsen wrote:
>
> > "See if any of the RAM chips (there are eight of them) get warm or
> > hot... feel each one with the back of your finger after the computer
> > has run for about 5 minutes. Shorted chips will get hotter than the
> > others. Note: bad RAM doesn't always get hot."
>
> > If you feel no difference you can try the "piggyback" trick.
>
> > Good luck !
>
> > Regards, SAM
>
> Thanks will socket them and do some swapping from a working donor C64.
>
> John

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Amigas in Miami Vice season 3