From: My Pet Programmer on
Randy Webb said:

> How is anybody supposed to be able to help you if you can't even make up
> your mind what browser it does or doesn't work in? First it was Safari,
> now it is Opera, will it be Ice Weasel next?

I needed that grin tonight, Randy. Thanks. ;)

~A!
From: Rainmanjam on
On Dec 24, 12:24 am, My Pet Programmer <anth...(a)mypetprogrammer.com>
wrote:
> Randy Webb said:
>

> > How is anybody supposed to be able to help you if you can't even make up
> > your mind what browser it does or doesn't work in? First it was Safari,
> > now it is Opera, will it be Ice Weasel next?
>
> I needed that grin tonight, Randy. Thanks. ;)
>
> ~A!

You guys are brutal..:-)
From: My Pet Programmer on
Rainmanjam said:
[snip]
> What elementID do you suggest I ise?
Well, probably one you're going to try to manipulate with the function.

Take a break and get some coffee, this stuff is always better when you
stop staring at it for a minute.

~A!
From: RobG on
On Dec 24, 6:06 pm, Rainmanjam <nject...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 11:52 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > > There is a timing issue with Safari. Safari does not wait until the
> > > page is loaded before running a window.onload. Therefor none of the
> > > information in the VEMapFunctions.js run.
>
> > The page you referenced says quite specifically that Safari waits for
> > all resources to be loaded before firing onload, so you can't blame
> > that.
>
> > If you want to test it, use setTimeout to delay the call to your
> > function, then see how short the lag needs to be to get reliable
> > operation, e.g.:
>
> > window.onload = function() {
> >   setTimeout('GetMap();', 0);
>
> > }

> > A link to a page would be better.
>
> > [...]
>
> http://njection.com/speedtrap
>
> It works in IE and FF.. Not in Opera.

When I try to load that page in Safari I get;

TypeError: Value null (result of expression window.attachEvent) is not
object.
http://dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=6

The script file is obfuscated and minified, I'm not going any further
- the script file uses extensive browser sniffing. Suffice to say
Safari does not support IE's proprietary attachEvent, it supports the
W3C's addEventListener and DOM 0 window.onload.

The page is not valid XHTML (93 errors, some quite serious):

--
Rob
From: My Pet Programmer on
RobG said:
> As far as I can tell, the issue has nothing to do with the claim that
> Safari fires the load event early - nothing in this thread supports
> that assertion.
>

> --
> Rob

You're most likely correct, I wasn't sure what he wanted, made the
suggestion, and just followed up. If it's the wrong thing for what he
needs, then I apologize to the OP for leading him down the wrong path,
definitely.

~A!