From: David Mark on
On Dec 25, 4:04 pm, Rainmanjam <nject...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 7:16 pm, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtH...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>

> > Rainmanjam said the following on 12/24/2007 3:18 AM:

> > > I can get the map to appear.. but not run the Javascript to import the
> > > GEORSS information into the map. The javascript is located at
> > >http://njection.com/speedtrap/javascript/VEMapFunctions.js
>
> > Hard to tell you what is wrong with a site that tells me Safari Browsers
> > are not supported by Microsoft.
>
> > You still haven't answered my original question in my original reply to you.
>
> > "And what issue is that?"
>
> > Well, you finally did say that you couldn't get the map to appear. But,
> > when you blanket give me a page to try in Safari to try to figure out
> > what the error is, it doesn't do a lot of good to redirect me to a page
> > that tells me you don't support the browser you want to debug.
>
> > And don't quote signatures. It makes me more brutal than Opera/Safari
> > mixups.
>
> > --
> > Randy
> > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
> > comp.lang.javascript FAQ -http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html
> > Javascript Best Practices -http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
>
> The issue is this. I can get the map to appear. But I can not get the
> GEORSS feed to appear in the map (The dots). I can get it to work in
> Firefox and IE. No workie in Safari. I have edited the javascript to
> allow Safari users to see what I am talking about.I think I know what
> I might need to do. I can not attach the javascript as a separate
> file. I may have to include it into the page.

That won't help. The script is apparently no good. No matter how you
include it, it is going to run exactly the same.

BTW, are you using the Windows Beta? It has issues. I just updated
my copy and some of them went away.
From: RobG on
Rainmanjam wrote:
> [...]
[...]
[...]
> The issue is this. I can get the map to appear. But I can not get the
> GEORSS feed to appear in the map (The dots). I can get it to work in
> Firefox and IE. No workie in Safari. I have edited the javascript to
> allow Safari users to see what I am talking about.I think I know what
> I might need to do. I can not attach the javascript as a separate
> file. I may have to include it into the page.

You still have the same error in Safari as the one I told you about 2
days ago. It seems that the script uses browser detection and
incorrectly attempts to use attachEvent for Safari when it should be
using addEventListener. There maybe more errors than that - as I said
in my previous post, I have no intention of attempting to debug a large,
obfuscated and minified script file.

One thing that has changed is that there are now 99 validation errors,
there were only 93.

I think the whole strategy is flawed - your page is 1.2MB of stuff.
Most on-line phone directories have their own map systems that are free
and don't have the same bugs this stuff has. Why not just list the
locations and put a link to the white pages or whatever, along with
contact details?

The whole zooming map thing is a complete waste of bandwidth.

--
Rob
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our
From: RobG on
RobG wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
>> The issue is this. I can get the map to appear. But I can not get the
>> GEORSS feed to appear in the map (The dots). I can get it to work in
>> Firefox and IE. No workie in Safari. I have edited the javascript to
>> allow Safari users to see what I am talking about.I think I know what
>> I might need to do. I can not attach the javascript as a separate
>> file. I may have to include it into the page.
>
> You still have the same error in Safari as the one I told you about 2
> days ago. It seems that the script uses browser detection and
> incorrectly attempts to use attachEvent for Safari when it should be
> using addEventListener. There maybe more errors than that - as I said
> in my previous post, I have no intention of attempting to debug a large,
> obfuscated and minified script file.

Forgot to add that the string "attachEvent" occurs 234 times in the
script, addEventListener occurs 11 times - good luck with debugging that!