From: dwn on
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>You will need to note that XP does not have a separate DOS part. The
>DOS Prompt window is a separate emulator "process" that requires XP to
>run.
>
>You can access the Safe Mode setting by using the MSCONFIG utility.

I am now looking for files in Dot Prompt mode,
looking for the three file NTLDR, NTDETET.COM and Boot.ini.
I am Posting using another laptop.

My ultimate objective is to use the hidden recovery partition to
recover Thinkpad T30 to it's original condition.

BTW where is MSCONFIG?

Thanks

From: dwn dwn on
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:57:57 -0400, "Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

>In news:hpco610t4(a)news6.newsguy.com,
>dwn <dwnns(a)nonet.net> typed:
>> I am really new to Thinkpad T30 with Win XP Pro and I need
>> help. I have so many trivial questions and unable to find
>> the answer in the Thinkpad help or in Internet.
>>
>> How to boot up in Safe Mode or MS Dot Prompt?
>
>To get into Safe Mode, start pressing the F8 key repeatably
>the instant the POST completes (you get that single-beep and
>then windows starts to load). So it's early in the boot
>process that you press F8. Press it at about 1/sec. If XP
>boots, you missed the window and will have to try again, maybe
>pressing F8 a bit faster.
>
>The only way to "boot" into a DOS prompt would be to boot from
>a DOS-based disk like win98 or 95.
> There is no DOS mode to boot into in XP like there was in
>win98 et al. There IS the Command Prompt, however, which will
>give you a DOS type window and allow you to use DOS commands.
>Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Command Prompt to
>get to it.
>

>> Due to different time zones, I may be posting in the wrong
>> time of the day, please excuse. I really appreciate it.
>> Thank you.
>
>Time of day doesn't matter here.
>
>What exactly is the problem you have, or what are you trying
>to do? Just curious.
>
>HTH,
>
>Twayne`

Thanks, for your explanation. I know you can get to Dot Prompt via Accessories.
Would you believe, I am in Dot prompt on the T30 while I am posting on another
computer?

I got there by pressing F5 and keep pressing, than the black screen came up and
give various option. I choose safe mode Dot Prompt. Than another black screen
and I press F8 and in safe mode, window, I choose administrate button rather my
button.

Wow! It's Dot prompt. The long process began finding the three file NTLDR,
NTDETET.com and Boot.ini. I need to revovery to factory condition. Very, very
slow line by line and I dunno why so slow. Slower than the early vintage IBM
computer. Thanks.

From: glee on
"dwn" <dwnns(a)nonet.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:54:13 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
> <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You will need to note that XP does not have a separate DOS part. The
>>DOS Prompt window is a separate emulator "process" that requires XP to
>>run.
>>
>>You can access the Safe Mode setting by using the MSCONFIG utility.
>
> I am now looking for files in Dot Prompt mode,
> looking for the three file NTLDR, NTDETET.COM and Boot.ini.
> I am Posting using another laptop.
>
> My ultimate objective is to use the hidden recovery partition to
> recover Thinkpad T30 to it's original condition.
>
> BTW where is MSCONFIG?
>
> Thanks

Thinkpad T30 and others - How to use the pre-boot service partition to
recover your software
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-4UFUYK.html

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+