From: Gualtier Malde on
On 6/19/2010 01.31, pɐʍzɐb wrote:
> Gualtier Malde proscribed:

>>> There's a file that might work here, see:
>>> 5. Restore Safely Remove Hardware Icon
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>

>>> Restore Missing or Disappeared Safely Remove Hardware Icon
>>> http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/12/30/restore-missing-or-disappeared-safely-remove-hardware-icon/
>>>

>>> Take a look at the post by rbsmith2000
>>> http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-system-tray-icon-missing-in-windows-xp/
>>>

>>> Did any of those work?
>>
>> I looked at those but my problem isn't that I don't have the icon. That
>> tray icon comes as soon as I plug something in. What I was concerned
>> about was not getting the balloon that says the device may be removed
>> safely, which usually pops up in the lower right of the screen, just above
>> the tray. A Windows bubble sound is also heard.
>>
>> The situation now is that the sound is heard but the balloon doesn't show.
>> It matters when I am using the netbook in a place where I have to be quiet
>> and I have a blank in the earphone socket to shut sounds off. At those
>> times I have to assume it based on other signs: the little icon disappears
>> if my device was the only one, or I didn't get told I couldn't take the
>> device out.
>> gm
>>

> Double click the icon instead, you'll get a proper window rather than a
> bubble.

That happened, but /still/ it's not what I am talking about because I want the
little balloon that says "USB mass storage device can be removed...". The sound
is called "Windows Bubble". The window when I double click does go grey, which
is one visual sign, but I can't imagine what happened to the small visual
permission thingy.

Thanks, though.
gm