From: Gualtier Malde on
I am using XP SP3 in an ACER netbook. Previously, when I would click on the
Safe Removal and Hardware for some USB device I would hear the sound and see a
small window. Now the sound is played but the window doesn't show. The
importance to me is that I use library wireless when on travel and have the
sound turned off, so under those conditions I don't know if my safe removal was
completed.

How to I restore that window?
Thanks - gm
From: MikeS on
On 06/13/2010 05:08 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
> I am using XP SP3 in an ACER netbook. Previously, when I would click on
> the Safe Removal and Hardware for some USB device I would hear the sound
> and see a small window. Now the sound is played but the window doesn't
> show. The importance to me is that I use library wireless when on travel
> and have the sound turned off, so under those conditions I don't know if
> my safe removal was completed.
>
> How to I restore that window?
> Thanks - gm

There's a file that might work here, see:
5. Restore Safely Remove Hardware Icon

Restore Missing or Disappeared Safely Remove Hardware Icon
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/12/30/restore-missing-or-disappeared-safely-remove-hardware-icon/

Take a look at the post by rbsmith2000
http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-system-tray-icon-missing-in-windows-xp/

Did any of those work?
From: Gualtier Malde on
On 6/14/2010 05.36, MikeS wrote:
> On 06/13/2010 05:08 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> I am using XP SP3 in an ACER netbook. Previously, when I would click on
>> the Safe Removal and Hardware for some USB device I would hear the sound
>> and see a small window. Now the sound is played but the window doesn't
>> show. The importance to me is that I use library wireless when on travel
>> and have the sound turned off, so under those conditions I don't know if
>> my safe removal was completed.
>>
>> How to I restore that window?
>> Thanks - gm
>

> There's a file that might work here, see:
> 5. Restore Safely Remove Hardware Icon
>

> Restore Missing or Disappeared Safely Remove Hardware Icon
> http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/12/30/restore-missing-or-disappeared-safely-remove-hardware-icon/
>

> Take a look at the post by rbsmith2000
> http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-system-tray-icon-missing-in-windows-xp/
>

> Did any of those work?

I looked at those but my problem isn't that I don't have the icon. That tray
icon comes as soon as I plug something in. What I was concerned about was not
getting the balloon that says the device may be removed safely, which usually
pops up in the lower right of the screen, just above the tray. A Windows bubble
sound is also heard.

The situation now is that the sound is heard but the balloon doesn't show. It
matters when I am using the netbook in a place where I have to be quiet and I
have a blank in the earphone socket to shut sounds off. At those times I have
to assume it based on other signs: the little icon disappears if my device was
the only one, or I didn't get told I couldn't take the device out.
gm

From: pɐʍzɐb on
Gualtier Malde proscribed:

> On 6/14/2010 05.36, MikeS wrote:
>> On 06/13/2010 05:08 PM, Gualtier Malde wrote:
>>> I am using XP SP3 in an ACER netbook. Previously, when I would click on
>>> the Safe Removal and Hardware for some USB device I would hear the sound
>>> and see a small window. Now the sound is played but the window doesn't
>>> show. The importance to me is that I use library wireless when on travel
>>> and have the sound turned off, so under those conditions I don't know if
>>> my safe removal was completed.
>>>
>>> How to I restore that window?
>>> Thanks - gm
>>

>> There's a file that might work here, see:
>> 5. Restore Safely Remove Hardware Icon
>>

>> Restore Missing or Disappeared Safely Remove Hardware Icon
>> http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/12/30/restore-missing-or-disappeared-safely-remove-hardware-icon/
>>

>> Take a look at the post by rbsmith2000
>> http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-xp/fix-for-system-tray-icon-missing-in-windows-xp/
>>

>> Did any of those work?
>
> I looked at those but my problem isn't that I don't have the icon. That
> tray icon comes as soon as I plug something in. What I was concerned
> about was not getting the balloon that says the device may be removed
> safely, which usually pops up in the lower right of the screen, just above
> the tray. A Windows bubble sound is also heard.
>
> The situation now is that the sound is heard but the balloon doesn't show.
> It matters when I am using the netbook in a place where I have to be quiet
> and I have a blank in the earphone socket to shut sounds off. At those
> times I have to assume it based on other signs: the little icon disappears
> if my device was the only one, or I didn't get told I couldn't take the
> device out.
> gm

Double click the icon instead, you'll get a proper window rather than a
bubble.

--
Sifting through my soup, I found some sort of barracuda heart. Damn
those French.

From: Kulin Remailer on
Egidius Anarchistische Balzak, hag-seed hence. Ye maggot-infested
double villain, ye that is likest to a hot-headed base wretch. Ye
perspired:

BOO!